No wrap ribs. An experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Babybacks aren't difficult. Pull the membrane, apply the rub(s) you like, maintain a verified grate temp of 225º, spritz with something (I use apple juice) starting after hour #2 & every 45 min or so. Start to check for doneness around the 4h 15m mark. In order, the bend test, toothpick and pullback on bones. If not, go another 20 minutes & check again. If you are there (can be 4h30m to 5h or a tad more), either sauce and let it set up for 15 min before pulling or pull, then let the rack rest for a few before cutting. No wrap, no fuss, straight forward process. It works!

Reactions: JC in GB
Babybacks aren't difficult. Pull the membrane, apply the rub(s) you like, maintain a verified grate temp of 225º, spritz with something (I use apple juice) starting after hour #2 & every 45 min or so. Start to check for doneness around the 4h 15m mark. In order, the bend test, toothpick and pullback on bones. If not, go another 20 minutes & check again. If you are there (can be 4h30m to 5h or a tad more), either sauce and let it set up for 15 min before pulling or pull, then let the rack rest for a few before cutting. No wrap, no fuss, straight forward process. It works!

Im sure this is a hotly debated topic, but i tried spritzing a couple times and I hadn't found a huge benefit. The racks didnt come out noticeably more moist than the ones that weren't spritzed. At least in my experience.

I should try this again though without wrapping and spritz one rack and leave one alone. I think in the past the moisture in the wrap made it seem there wasn't a big difference.

Those look darn good!!

I'm on board. Last several rib smokes I did not wrap them and I will not be going back. This was a half rack of pork back ribs for just the wife and I.

I really need to work on my photography skills.

Attachments

• 20210417_150630.jpg
    20210417_150630.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210417_160037.jpg
    20210417_160037.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210417_163310.jpg
    20210417_163310.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 20
TThoSe
Those look darn good!!

I'm on board. Last several rib smokes I did not wrap them and I will not be going back. This was a half rack of pork back ribs for just the wife and I.

I really need to work on my photography skills.

Those look tasty too.

I think its worth mentioning that I also didnt use a binder this time. I usually use yellow mustard before a rub.

This time it was ribs, rub, smoke, sauce, and time.

Im sure this is a hotly debated topic, but i tried spritzing a couple times and I hadn't found a huge benefit. The racks didnt come out noticeably more moist than the ones that weren't spritzed. At least in my experience.

I should try this again though without wrapping and spritz one rack and leave one alone. I think in the past the moisture in the wrap made it seem there wasn't a big difference.
Not really doing it for moisture. Maybe out of habit or misplaced belief but I do it to help smoke absorption. Anyhow, we like the results regardless of what it does or not do.

Not really doing it for moisture. Maybe out of habit or misplaced belief but I do it to help smoke absorption. Anyhow, we like the results regardless of what it does or not do.

I meant no offense. If you're happy with the results thats the most important part! We all have different cookers, fuel sources, taste buds, etc. What works for one guy may not work for the next.

Part of the fun is experimentation!

BabyBack Maniac actually has a video on this where he did no wrap, 2 were spritzed with different stuff and one was not at all! I actually just watched it myself and found it interesting

I meant no offense. If you're happy with the results thats the most important part! We all have different cookers, fuel sources, taste buds, etc. What works for one guy may not work for the next.

Part of the fun is experimentation!

No offense taken at all. You are so right, what works for one may not for others. It's part of the spice of life :emoji_wink:

Reactions: JC in GB and JBinGB
Hi ALl,
New to the forum, found this thread interesting. I have never wrapped my ribs but was thinking of trying wrapping in butcher's paper. Anyone tried that over foil?

I have done foil, paper, and naked ribs. I really haven't noticed much difference between foil and paper wrapped.

Like many posters here, I don't usually wrap my ribs. I have found that wrapping the ribs doesn't improve the ribs to a point that it is worth the time and effort to wrap them. If I were competing, I would wrap the ribs.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: 51Phantom
BabyBack Maniac actually has a video on this where he did no wrap, 2 were spritzed with different stuff and one was not at all! I actually just watched it myself and found it interesting

I spritz for flavor not moisture. A nice spritz of cider vinegar and sugar or cherry juice will give some nice color, sheen and a bit of extra tang.

JC :emoji_cat:

I did some BB ribs the other day....3 hrs in the smoke, wrapped with brown sugar, butter and a little honey, 2 hrs later as I was trying to unwrap they were falling apart. Had a good flavor. But not what I was looking for as far as bite. Of course they made some killer sammichs.
Jim

I haven't wrapped ribs in years. I use the Fast Eddy method. 275F the entire time - takes about 3 hours for BB and 3 1/2 for spares.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky