No "stall" yet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

makeminemeat

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Ontario Canada
What does it mean when there is no stall in my pork butt?  8.5lb butt at *240 since 3.30am and it has continually climbed to *168 at this time (9.09am). These Canadian pigs must be fast. Any pointers?

Master built XL, gasser,  first smoke, good digital thermometer with probe, ET_72c, all the ET- 73's in the area are out of stock. Not big sellers here.

Thanks

Well you won't always get a stall. As you will find out no two pieces of meat are the same. Some sall for an hour some stall for several hours and some don't stall at all. You just never know for sure that is why we always go by temp and not time. Meat size, fat content, thickness etc. are some of the factors that will contribute to a stall or no stall.

As usual, I spoke too soon. Shortly after posting, it stalled and even dropped in temp. It seems to be right on track. Thanks for the reply.

I remember when I first started I was freaking out when the temps started going backwards. Glad to hear that things are moving along.

I just smoked my second butt last weekend and i didnt have a stall at all either. I was sorta freakin out but in the end its done when its done and it was certainly done and delish 

There's always a stall, the connective tissues decide that, how long is another factor. Age of the meat, humidity, outside temp all play into the equation. Now I sound like a frickin expert,
icon_rolleyes.gif
 just smoke it!

Update.........Everything worked out great.Butt was more than fine and Dutch's beans were a big hit.

Pic's will follow when I get smarter, but for right now the Q is great.

Question...Can I expect longer cook times if the smoker is full? My thoughts are that each piece of meat is an individual and as long as the heat is constant, it should be roughly the same. Would I reduce cook time if I cut each 9# butt in half to gain more bark?  Any thoughts or advice ?

Update.........Everything worked out great.Butt was more than fine and Dutch's beans were a big hit.

Pic's will follow when I get smarter, but for right now the Q is great.

Question...Can I expect longer cook times if the smoker is full? My thoughts are that each piece of meat is an individual and as long as the heat is constant, it should be roughly the same. Would I reduce cook time if I cut each 9# butt in half to gain more bark?  Any thoughts or advice ?
Yes you will cut back on time if you cut the butts in half. Lots of people have done that to save on time and also to gain on bark as you mentioned.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky