No Smoking for a While

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That sucks about all the damage and your neighbor being well you know! Be safe...water damage can be fixed, you falling and getting badly hurt not as much.

Just went through some of this with my Mom's house . No home damage , but a huge hickory came down and half landed in the neighbors yard . I thought we would be responsible , but it's considered an " act of nature " and responsibility starts and stops at the property lines .
I offered to clean it up for him , but he hired someone to do the work .

As far as you having to hire the work done , I just had a heated " debate " over this with my Agent concerning roof replacement . OK , I was heated , he just sat there . He did finally say that they stopped recommending contractors because it makes them responsible .
It's a joke .

Dang . That's the '06 / 07 performer . They should cover that ?
By the way . Stay off the roof . I've been up high and on the edge of disaster many times . I don't do it anymore .
Don't get up there . Hire a roofing contractor and let them temp it in .
Hitting a horse running across the highway with my truck pulling a camper is also an "act of nature" ... my own agent couldn't believe it!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Oh man, that sucks so bad. I’m very sorry for what you’re going through. I know it’ll work out, but hope you have the least amount of stress before it does. Always has to be one bad neighbor, I don’t understand people that behave like that.

Dang, sorry about the hardship. I would have your Ins. talk to your neighbors ins. Should be able to get hashed out without lawyer, but if need be. . . don't feel bad about it at all

Very sorry to hear about the parents being at that point I know it takes a toll on everyone and then to get the call about the tree that just flat out sucks. Hopefully the laws there are different than here because here it's as someone else said an act of God or nature and isn't covered. An idiot can plant a tree that shouldn't be planted where he plants it and it can die and fall on your house and he's not responsible for it. The only thing I have found to help is that again if like here if you go to the property line and kind of make a line straight up anything on your side of the line is yours so you can cut every limb as it crosses the line. That makes for an ugly tree and one that is heavier on one side and unless pushed by the wind will normally fall toward the heavy side

That sucks about all the damage and your neighbor being well you know! Be safe...water damage can be fixed, you falling and getting badly hurt not as much.

Hitting a horse running across the highway with my truck pulling a camper is also an "act of nature" ... my own agent couldn't believe it!

Ryan
Oh in our parts it’s is not an act of nature it IS your fault and you have to pay for the animal and any damage you caused……ie hitting a beef on the open range Highway can be spendy!

Sorry to hear, my co-worker just had the same thing happen to him in the Portland area he sued and got this bad neighbor to pay up as well as removed all the other bad trees the arborist said had to go…… his went right trough the roof into the house big time $$$. Be sure to have the water damage assessed because that can be worse than the structural damage.

This is really bad. Sorry for your troubles.
I am with GaryHibbert GaryHibbert , Time to sue him and get him and his money to fix what his trees did.

Still sucks to have to do this , with your parents issues still on your plate to fix.

Good luck with everything

David ps: stay off your roof

Sorry to hear about this Mike. Whatever avenue you take. I hope it gets resolved as painlessly and quickly as possible. I'm not totally sure, but around here I think it's considered an act of nature. If we report potentially dangerous trees to the town they'll eventually send someone out to investigate and then make their decision. Depending on the situation. The road crew will either take the tree down themselves or call in a professional. I do know that if you hit a cow or any other farm animal in the road the farmer isn't responsible for any of the damage. Unless there have been numerous documented complaints over an extended period of time with the town about their fencing being in constant disrepair, but even then it's a tough battle to win.

Stay dry
Chris

That's about the only way I think.
Would make it something he caused . Otherwise he's not responsible .
Not defending anyone , that's just the way it is .

My Mom has 2 more that are right on the line . Both neighbors know that she is not responsible if it comes down . The one neighbor asked if he could have the one by him taken down . We OK'd that , and he did .
The guy in the back asked his insurance to take that one out , and they said call us when it falls on your house .

Reactions: gmc2003
Would make it something he caused . Otherwise he's not responsible .
Not defending anyone , that's just the way it is .

My Mom has 2 more that are right on the line . Both neighbors know that she is not responsible if it comes down . The one neighbor asked if he could have the one by him taken down . We OK'd that , and he did .
The guy in the back asked his insurance to take that one out , and they said call us when it falls on your house .
Totally agree with ya Rich, I'm just kind of surprised by the guy in the backs insurance companies response. Being proactive is usually cheaper than being reactive. Unless they think they can win a judgment.

Maybe if he was cutting the tree himself and it fell on the house

Understand what you are saying, but he was asked about the trees and just seemed to not care.
I in the last big blow we had here a month or so ago, I went over to both side neighbours and picked up all my branches from mine and their trees. Just the right thing to do.

Just me

David

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Wow, that is a bad situation. Hope it gets resolved in a satisfactory manner.

Bad neighbors simply suck the life right out of a neighborhood.

I had a neighbor that had a really rickety tree that was going to fall on something. Fortunately for me, the tree also hung over a power line so the city made him remove it before it caused some real damage.

Sorry for your troubles. I have a neighbor with a tree that needs to come down as well. There is a hell of a widow maker over my garage. And tree is dying. But she hasn't done anything about it in the 8 or so years I complained about it. One huge limb came down a couple years ago on our driveway. Luckily nothing got damaged. Pleaded yet again about that tree. Nothing....

Neighbors just aint what they used to be - today, they're only nice when they need you for something and then they become incensed when you remind them about their tree...

Reactions: JC in GB
From looking at the local news coverage, it seems we were one of many that night. Some much worse than us.
I tried getting back up there Monday morning. It was even scarier in the daylight, so I was able to get a contractor out to give things a look. He had a younger guy with him, and they were able to clean off the debris from the roof, lay a tarp down, and assess the damage. Seems like a knowledgeable guy, and told me to give him a call when the insurance adjuster gets here, as he wants to make sure the person sees ALL the things that will need replaced. Says he has crews who can fix all the damage, inside and out, and remove everything from the yard.
We visited our insurance agent that morning also, and turns out she had a tree come down on her brand new pickup as well, so she's pretty sympathetic. Since they know this is an ongoing problem with the neighbor's lot (they're still negotiating with his insurance co. for the last claim, but I don't know the details), she told us they have pre-authorized more than $500K towards this one. I doubt it will top $50K, but that's nice to know. BTW, the Weber must have taken a pretty good hit, as I've noticed the frame is bent, too. So hopefully a replacement for that in the near future.

Sorry to hear about this Mike. Whatever avenue you take. I hope it gets resolved as painlessly and quickly as possible. I'm not totally sure, but around here I think it's considered an act of nature. If we report potentially dangerous trees to the town they'll eventually send someone out to investigate and then make their decision...
gmc2003, we tried to get the city to do something about it before, but since isn't on city-owned property, they refuse to get involved. Of course, if I want to put up a small shed in my own backyard, they're all over that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky