No Rub smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

luckywilber

Original poster
Ok, Its Lucky again with another problem
yahoo.gif

You see It's my wife. I think she hates smoking and she hates the salty taste of the rub. 
wazzapp.gif

?What can I do?, Oh, what can I do?

May I say, or, should I say,  can I Smoke without the rub?????? 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Or should I rub without the smoke???? 

Help, Lucky

Ask yourself this question: do I want to cook to please her (if she can be pleased with smoked meats), or do I want to cook to please me?

Make something for her with the KISS method for seasoning: garlic and pepper in equal parts, 1/2 part salt, 2 parts brown sugar...nothing fancy, just a touch of salt to enhance the meat and intensify the sweetness from the sugar. Apply a light dose of the rub and see where it goes from there.

At the same time, make something the way you like it for yourself. You have a 50/50 chance on pleasing her, and a 100% chance on pleasing yourself, so, worst case scenerio, your overall odds are 75%...not bad, IMO.

I have a few finicky guests at times...I don't worry much anymore about what they like or don't like. If they don't like it, they don't have to eat it. I don't make everything I cook with spicy-heat, so there's always something a bit milder for those who'd rather have it that way, otherwise, it's a free for all with seasonings and methods.

Eric

Last edited:
Ask yourself this question: do I want to cook to please her (if she can be pleased with smoked meats), or do I want to cook to please me?

Make something for her with the KISS method for seasoning: garlic and pepper in equal parts, 1/2 part salt, 2 parts brown sugar...nothing fancy, just a touch of salt to enhance the meat and intensify the sweetness from the sugar. Apply a light dose of the rub and see where it goes from there.

At the same time, make something the way you like it for yourself. You have a 50/50 chance on pleasing her, and a 100% chance on pleasing yourself, so, worst case scenerio, your overall odds are 75%...not bad, IMO.

I have a few finicky guests at times...I don't worry much anymore about what they like or don't like. If they don't like it, they don't have to eat it. I don't make everything I cook with spicy-heat, so there's always something a bit milder for those who'd rather have it that way, otherwise, it's a free for all with seasonings and methods.

Eric
Eric, Spoken like a guy who knows what he likes... When I'm asked to cook, it's my way or someone else can cook it.... OF COURSE there is the bride to please... that is a totally different story... if the bride is happy.. (fill in the big blank)

A friend of mine asked for zero rubbed ribs, and he liked them very much.

Some people in this world are plain people (so to speak), they do not like ketchup, mustard or relish on a burger or dog or salad dressing on a lettuce salad.    

I have no problem smoking without any rub and when its done let her season it her way and you season it your way...no big deal. Might even like it better.

Try a milder wood. I know hickory and mesquite, to my palate anyway, taste salty. Apple and cherry on the other hand give a sweeter taste. Id look at this an opportunity to really get down to the basics. Since you'll not be relying on rub to add or mask any flavors, you're totally reliant on the choice of wood and method of smoking. You'll be like some Shaman living on a mountain top, one of the few who really understands the true soul of smoking meat...

Or...

Make her a salad and get on with your business. I'm realizing that life is too short to quibble over what SHE wants or doesn't. In the end it's just easier to do what she wants in the first place, since no amount of arguing, reasoning, begging or pleading will change the fact that that's what's gonna end up happening anyway. In a perfect world the men would live on one mountain and the women would live on another, getting together in the valley between only for social activities and to propagate the tribe so to speak. We don't live in that world, so concessions must be made.

holy smokes......right there with you brother, my lady won't hesitate to give me her 'expert' opinion on whether she likes what I smoked.....but when it comes down to it Q is a personal thing.....I say push a little meat in the back plain...and make the rest like you like it....
wife.gif

I have a friend who went thru cancer surgery and treatment and his taste buds are all screwed up, plus he cannot produce saliva now. He loves ribs but any seasoning burns the crap out of his mouth and throat. Answer was a smoked rack of ribs with NO seasoning at all. He got the smoke taste 5x5 and zero issues with it!  Besides...you can always add a good sauce!

John

My wife didn't like the idea of me keeping a close eye on the BBQ while downing a few beers for the 5 or 6 hours it took, until I gave her something she could not argue with:

Let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.

Proverbs 31:7

Reactions: hellbent357
It is always interesting here too..

She and I have different tastes on a lot of things.

I usually make two lots of everything.

One for her and one for me.

If I only have one piece to smoke I will tone it down some..but not a lot.

I make a lot of sausage.. She likes most of it and I make andouille just for her...Lots of garlic and pepper..When she opens the package you can smell it three rooms away.

I make a lot of the stuff just for me..

I get a few packs of hot dogs..so if ya don't like what I made..have a hot dog.

Craig

I feel your pain lucky.  My wife, MIL and GIL all want there food the same way: 'If it didn't catch on fire then it wasn't cooked." My wife takes it one futher, no matter what I cook, if it is not a burger or a dog she will not eat it. 

I have done fatties, briskets, roast beef, pastrami, ABTs, ribs, and pulled pork and none of it she ate.  I wound up taking the leftovers to work and let the cubicle scavenger/hunters finish it off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky