No cream cheese please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JoeDeal

Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Im looking to make some smoked bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos this week to pair with some ribs. (Just got my first pellet smoker) Ive searched for days for a recipe that excludes cream cheese with no luck. Ive never made these before. Every video, every forum, every recipe site has cream cheese as the main ingredient. I absolutely despise cream cheese. I like cheddar jalapeno poppers. Has anyone tried these without the cream cheese? If I use cheddar and pepper jack would it be too dry? I dont know what im doing here. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not a big fan of cream cheese either. I do what Al does and use a grated cheddar cheese.

I also use cheddar in pork shots instead of cream. Except instead of shredding it I use small cubes.

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
I am also not a fan of the cream cheese. I use the Kroger mexian blend of shredded cheese And Chorizo. But you can load them with anything you like And any cheese will work. I have no clue where the cream cheese fixation came from either

Thanks guys! I might try some with mozz and some with cheddar.

I like cream cheese but even in mine I mix a lot of shredded cheddar in my mix. I think that just cheddar and / or pepper Jack would be phenomenal! Heck next time I make a big batch I’m going to do a few with my favorite pepper jack sans cream cheese. Another random thought, you could probably achieve the same texture as the fillings that include cream cheese by replacing it with a cheese spread instead.

Reactions: bauchjw
I don't do cream cheese or avocado lol both just look disgusting to me and I can't get past it lol.
he's right.jpg

I used to be put off with it but not anymore. I think it was a everything bagel that converted me. IIRC cream cheese was kinda fake tasting and that's what put me off originally. Why don't you guys like it? Flavor/texture? I think a good greek yogurt might work even better than cream cheese but less "fake cheesy" if such a thing. Mascarpone would be far milder and slightly sweet. Then you got like goat cheeses and brie. Also maybe try a brand name like Philadelphia and not generic.

For me its texture and taste. The texture makes me gag and the flavor overwhelms everything else. Like I love sushi but if I get a sushi roll with the tiny little chunk of cream cheese, all I taste is cream cheese. Nothing else. Its an all out assault on my taste buds.

I used to be put off with it but not anymore. I think it was a everything bagel that converted me. IIRC cream cheese was kinda fake tasting and that's what put me off originally. Why don't you guys like it? Flavor/texture? I think a good greek yogurt might work even better than cream cheese but less "fake cheesy" if such a thing. Mascarpone would be far milder and slightly sweet. Then you got like goat cheeses and brie. Also maybe try a brand name like Philadelphia and not generic.
It might be because cream cheese is a mild cheese and mellows out the jalapeno heat. It's also easier to stuff into the end of a pepper...

Reactions: DougE
I've never had an aversion to cream cheese. Just never care that much for it. Most times it went bad in the fridge before I used it up.

I've switched to mascarpone for all things that call for cream cheese. It's richer, creamier, and sweeter without the tang of cream cheese. About double the price, though. More calories, too. But DANG it's good.

The creamy texture might be an issue, though.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
It's not so much that I don't like cream cheese, but there are other options available that I like better. Like for instance - bagels I prefer Cabot cheddar cheese spread, and with celery I much rather have peanut butter on them then cream cheese. I will eat it if it's my only choice, but I'd rather my other options.

Chris

I've never had an aversion to cream cheese. Just never care that much for it. Most times it went bad in the fridge before I used it up.

I've switched to mascarpone for all things that call for cream cheese. It's richer, creamier, and sweeter without the tang of cream cheese. About double the price, though. More calories, too. But DANG it's good.

Mascarpone mixed with sharp cheddar or mixed with Jack cheese is very good.

Reactions: noboundaries
For me its texture and taste. The texture makes me gag and the flavor overwhelms everything else. Like I love sushi but if I get a sushi roll with the tiny little chunk of cream cheese, all I taste is cream cheese. Nothing else. Its an all out assault on my taste buds.
I get that. Ever have say buffalo chicken dip or artichoke dip? Usually have a cream cheese base but hard to tell it's in there if made well. Wife's buffalo chicken dip is killer and the trick is to not skimp on the other cheese, most do. We aim for 1:1 cream cheese and other cheese, bleu for the above dip. You MIGHT be able to use mayo or cut the cream cheese with it.

Oh yeah, agree. Cream cheese is just a cheap facsimile of mascarpone. I still HATE homemade cheesecake made with it. Pony up and get the good stuff like the Cheesecake Factory does...

BTW the coffee/bagel shops mod the cream cheese they use. They add club soda and stick blend. It is so much better than straight and worth the fuss.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky