NO CHARCOAL BASKET NEEDED HERE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
When I got my Lang I started the fire with splits & a weed burner to make my coal bed.

It was fun, but for me wood is more expensive than charcoal.

Especially when charcoal goes on sale.

So I started using charcoal to get a coal bed & then switch to splits.

Problem with that is the charcoal grate in the Lang has a gap all around it so some of the charcoal falls off the side & end.

I knew a charcoal basket would work to keep it contained, but I found an easier solution.

Pictures tell the story better than words.

You can see how much gap there is on the sides & back.

I think a piece of expanded metal the exact size of the firebox & put on the original grate would work too.

This is what worked for me.

I just took a split & put it against the back wall & two smaller splits for the sides.

Now I have a little box to put the coals in.

A few years ago I put a piece of stove pipe on my charcoal chimney with pop rivets.

I did it because when I had to add charcoal to my WSM, I wanted to be able to get the charcoal into the middle of the charcoal ring.

This chute would slide right in the side door & make that real easy.

It also works perfectly in the Lang, by getting the charcoal all the way to the back against the wood I put in there.

A very efficient way of making a coal bed.

Perfect! No coals falling down the sides or out the dampers or the front door.

I just put a split on top & I'm ready to go.

Usually I don't need to add another split until an hour or so later.

I'm sure you guys all have your own way of making a coal bed, but this is just another option you may want to try.

Thanks for looking!

Al

Reactions: sxfxz
I use a charcoal basket because I couldn' get the briquettes into the firebox without spilling hot coals everywhere. Also my wife thinks if get a weed burner I'll burn down the house.

phatbac (Aaron)

I use a charcoal basket because I couldn' get the briquettes into the firebox without spilling hot coals everywhere. Also my wife thinks if get a weed burner I'll burn down the house.

phatbac (Aaron)
Yea the chute gets them in there with no problem.

There's a good chance you could start the whole neighborhood on fire with a weed burner.

But they sure are fun to play around with!

Al

Expanded Metal works every time !!

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky