• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Whitecrow

Original poster
Dec 27, 2020
I'm new to smoking. I did my first attempt at bacon. It has a good flavor,Just not the taste I'm lookin for. I was hoping to get more of a Brown sugar flavor or even more of a salt flavor. The cure I used was. To every 2 1/2 to 3 lb of pork side. 2tbs Kosher salt, 1 tsp cure salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed) 1/2 tsp cracked pepper. Cured for 7 days.Rinsed, soaked for 1 hr changed water once. Another day in the fridge on an open rack. Smoked with apple and cherry chips to an internal temp of 150. I would appreciate any input. Thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to the forums from Mississippi! Lots of bacon makers on here. Hang tight you'll get your answer.
Jim

You’re recipe is about 2.25% salt.
Not sure you could impart more sugar.
The cure #1 amount is double what you need and what is safe level.

To much sugar will make the bacon burn in the pan.

Try making bacon by adding salt, sugar and cure by percentage to meat weight. This is much more repeatable and precise.

First convert pounds to grams by multiplying pounds x 454 (grams in 1 pound) buy a gram scale and experiment.

For 3 pounds bacon:
3x454=1362 grams.

salt at 2%: 1362x0.02=27.24 grams

sugar at 1%: 1362x0.01=13.62 grams

cure #1 is applied at 1.1 grams per pound of meat for 156ppm this is standard and safe.

1.1x3=3.3 grams cure #1

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Welcome g;ad to have you on board. As already pointed out you seemed to have made some mistake with your cure. There are plenty of bacon recipes on here as well as fool proof cures.

Warren

You’re recipe is about 2.25% salt.
Not sure you could impart more sugar.
The cure #1 amount is double what you need and what is safe level.

To much sugar will make the bacon burn in the pan.

Try making bacon by adding salt, sugar and cure by percentage to meat weight. This is much more repeatable and precise.

First convert pounds to grams by multiplying pounds x 454 (grams in 1 pound) buy a gram scale and experiment.

For 3 pounds bacon:
3x454=1362 grams.

salt at 2%: 1362x0.02=27.24 grams

sugar at 1%: 1362x0.01=13.62 grams

cure #1 is applied at 1.1 grams per pound of meat for 156ppm this is standard and safe.

1.1x3=3.3 grams cure #1
Can you recommend a good gram scale?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky