• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

possum-pie

Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
Near Gettysburg
Hi all,  I have been monitoring this forum for awhile now, I am new to smoking.  I tried some salmon that a russian guy I met cold smoked in a smokehouse he built in his back yard.  I was hooked.  I live in the country, and have plenty of room, so I built one about the size and shape of a phone booth.  I dug a trench about 5ft long put a metal flue pipe in it, and built a firebox using yellow fireplace bricks.  I lit it up for a trial last weekend, and it works.  I plan to smoke salmon that my father in law caught up in Alaska, as well as cheese bacon, and anything else I can get my hands on.  I live in apple country, and have 3 chords of applewood split for my fireplace in the house, I figure I will use that to  smoke with.  My problem is that it is 20 degrees here now, and I will need to experiment with a lightbulb, or soldering Iron, or something to keep things from freezing.  There are so many good suggestions in the forums, that I think I can get r done.  I will keep you informed , and try to post a photo or two of my setup.   Possum Pie

Greetings!

How about a picture of your smoker?

I plan on building one like you describe when I move to my next home.

Thanks for the introduction, and welcome to the SMF. I moved your thread to roll call so that others can welcome you. It's all good my friend.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Possum to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction    

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I set it up so I could both cold smoke or Hot smoke with it.  The inside bottom is lined with fireplace brick for protection, and a smoldering fire can be sustained without danger of catching the smoker on fire.  I tested it on a windy day, and the first thing I need to modify is to chink up the cracks, smoke was oozing out about 20 places in the joints of wood.  I am not a paranoid person, well not too much, but I am trying to be more self sufficient, just in case the govt. makes sooo many dumb decisions, that we go into another great depression, or worse.  I casually monitor Survivalist websites, We can our own garden fruits/veggies, and I would like to get to the point that I have some smoked hams, etc. hanging in our root celler.  I love smoked meats, being a nurse I have heard all the literature about carcinogens in smoked foods, but I believe there are more poisons in the air of cities than in my smoked salmon!!!  I'll try to post pics. this week

Possum Pie

Ok, ran outside and took some pics.  I plan to put more firebricks inside the smoker on the floor and about a foot up the walls

Possum Pie
89004a98_100_1794.jpg
7537f468_100_1795.jpg
9602c5eb_100_1796.jpg
ee13498b_100_1798.jpg

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

Ok, I definintely need to get a thermometer to monitor interior temp of the smokehouse.  I also may have to spin it around b/c prevailing winds are pushing most of the smoke away rather than up the flue pipe.  I put a cement board over the whole fire pit that helps alittle.  Also, I will chink the bigger cracks in between the wood of the house, It was made almost for free from old oak pallets I had laying around.Possum Pie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky