Newbie w/ questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

derek712

Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Near Sioux City Iowa
Hello eveyone my name is Derek and Iive in Northwest IA. I am a full time Firefighter at a national guard base and munincipal airport. Looking to start smoking and know nothing about it. Was thinking on buying  the Masterbuilt Extra Wide propane smoker. Any thoughts or suggestions would be of great help. Thanks

First things first.  Welcome to the forum Derek.  You will find tons of information here, no matter what rig you pick up.  If you like to tend fire, maybe something in the charcoal area would suite you.  MES's, if I am correct, are for the Electric people who want to set it & forget it.  Propane people exist here as well & I am sure there will be a few chiming in with their recommendations.  No matter which rig you get, consider this:  How much can you afford?  That is the real question.  Once you figure out your budget and your likes & dislikes, you will be half way to deciding what will work for you.  I smoke with a Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 smoker & I swear by it.  I get to tend to the fire, drink, relax, socialize & make good smoked meats.  Others will swear by their rigs as well.  So, break out the bank book & add up some numbers.  You will probably find that what you can get will be what is best for you for the time being.  Remember; there is nothing wrong with having more than one smoker.  I have two.  My other is a Char Griller.  Good luck & enjoy your stay here sir. 

Welcome to the forum.  Glad to have you aboard. 

Derek,

Welcome to the forum.

I am an electric MES owner & I love it.

They make gas smokers too, but I don't know much about them.

Somebody else will have to help you on the gas type smokers, but Masterbuilt has been showing me some real good customer service lately.

If you're gonna get a "Gasser", it's probably good you're a full time fireman.   (Just kidding----I think)

Bear

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview. :)

Welcome to SMF, Never owned a propane smoker, I'm a stick burner at heart! But you came to the right place to learn how to smoke.I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help out, Happy Smokin and don't forget the Qveiw of your first Smokin Adventure!!

Welcome to the forum, I have a home built smoker (an old fridge), my neighbor has an MES and some days I'm a little jealous.  I will be buying one in the future but for now mine works great.  Caveman said it best you can have more than one smoker.  Again, welcome.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to SMF... I have a GOSM, gasser, and it serves me well, but I just started this year in spring, and I'm hooked, but I wish I could've gotten a bigger smoker, but my budget at the time wouldn't allow it, so I'm thinking I'll go buy the WSM next spring, I need more room... and bigger pants

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Derek to SMF. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction    

Thanks for the welcome everyone. After a couple days of researchin I ended up buyin the ECB and am just about done w/ the mods so I can give it a test run.I am sure this question is as bad as asking someone if Ford is better than Chevy but here it goes, for charcoal is lump better than brickets?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky