newbie questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I do a 24-hour dry brine (just a salt & pepper rub) then add a secondary rub an hour or two before it goes on. 

I've had success with pulling it at 135 then letting it rest for 20 minutes.

Reactions: lvjayhawk15
Some people don't like it pink inside . I do my pork tenderloins to 130/135 but the loins I go 145/150.

I stuff the pork loins often. I need to be sure all that stuffing is cooked to temp. Don't want Luke warm pork juice in there somewhere.

Last edited:
I found images off google (below)...but essentially I used the silver pan as my base- and have it resting on 2 cement blocks so I can lift it off during the smoke- plus air should get through the bottom of it.

I drilled out the former water pan for my charcoal- the charcoal pan is now drilled out, and sits 5" out of the silver pan (used adjustable bolts) and has a grate inside of it to raise it off ash (similar to picture).

I slotted the bottom of the charcoal pan so the ash falls through and will never build up hopefully (not pictured). Hope that made sense Rings =)

Ok.. cool [emoji]128077[/emoji] as long as ash doesn't block air vents under the base. Temps could run high if you don't have it all sealed up

Last edited:
I crack my door open and I get hot fast. Bottom dampers don't seem to let it get to hot.. if I have them open any. I think I could use a third damper like on a WSM. The top damper I used is smaller. Probably less volume than the gap around the lid was.

Last edited:
Well, I returned from vacay...so, here are pics of the smoker and my first smoke. 2-2.5lb pork loins (I thought it was 1 5lb log in the package, oh well).

Had a few flare ups with temps in the beginning, but ended up leaving the door open, lid partially cracked (even with no 'rope mod') and both vents open- this kept it at 215-225. I won't have an issue keeping temp up, i'll need to add more vents on top I think in order to control it better.

All in all though, good first smoke.

24hr brine, light rub on the outside 1hr before it was set on....90min later they were at 149 and 155- wrapped and set for 30min. Holy JUICINESS!! Came out awesome...next up is a brisket Sun or Mon!

You should be able to control intake air on charcoal base.. and only have the vents on the lid as your exhaust.. the door and around the lid should be sealed up..those top dampers look good enough to use for exhaust. That looks like a good mod job so far.. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Last edited:
You should be able to control intake air on charcoal base.. and only have the vents on the lid as your exhaust.. the door and around the lid should be sealed up..those top dampers look good enough to use for exhaust. That looks like a good mod job so far.. [emoji]128077[/emoji]
So add dampers to the charcoal base in order to keep it from running too hot, you're saying? My issue was that it was getting too hot, I even had to take the lid off twice...

Last edited:
Well I see hole in that silver pan.. You should be able to close the pan holes down to keep the temps from going high.. and even be able to snuff the coals out if you want.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky