newbie questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did you drill all those holes in that silver pan? I think that silver pan is supposed to go into another base pan that should be the same color as the ECB. And the silver pan is a charcoal pan.. I think..

Last edited:
Did you drill all those holes in that silver pan? I think that silver pan is supposed to go into another base pan that should be the same color as the ECB. And the silver pan is a charcoal pan.. I think..
Correct, there is another base I can set it in- Would that help with my climbing temps?

Is so many threads in here of how people put vents on those things.. I see some people made all kinds of damper contraptions to go on those base bottoms.

You might be able to shove some foil in those pan holes and block out some of the air down there.. it should work to keep temps down. Just put a couple in..then a couple more maybe later.. etc.. You can add foil around the lid gap too for a temporary fix.

Last edited:
Ah that all makes perfect sense the more I read and think about it...I had done so much to make sure it was getting airflow (since that was the issue with the older version ECB), and I didn't stop to think that would actually just bring airflow in and no stopping.

Thanks everyone!!!!

PS- where is the best place to find those Weber dampers? Amazon? My local hardware stores and bbq places don't carry...

Not sure how many inches your base sides are. These are 3.5 inch and need at least that much room to install on a flat surface. If the are on a tapered angle they won't seal good

Last edited:
I was gonna ask if I should use a step or a hole saw... and I think I could get away with 3" for sure...3.5 might not lay flat (on the sides, the bottom wouldn't be an issue)
Gonna go to Home Depot tomorrow to see what I can make shift...

Do you think the bottom would be the best or the sides?

Well.. bottom is not gonna be obstructed by ash? Do bottom.. 2 vents or 3.. People that do side vents make hand made slots that a sliding damper cover can slide open and closed.. that's a bunch of work

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky