newbie questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lvjayhawk15

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 17, 2017
Las Vegas (raised in KC)
Mods are all done (although I think the holes in my 2 lid vents might be small)- a few questions to start with...

1-what is a good 'first smoke'? Just want to learn fire control, etc...but possibly still be able to eat the food I cook, lol

2-Once i've nailed down temps, brisket is going to be my first one...I was curious what temp you all cook at? I've seen ECBs on here at 230, then some say regardless of smoker type to cook at 250?

2a- about how long does it take to do a brisket on the ol ecb? (i know thats a loaded question, I just wanted to get a range)

3- regarding charcoal and wood: how much to use? 

I did comb 5 pages of threads and didn't see the answers to these....trying not to wear people out hahaha

No rope ring for me, and my charcoal bowl is drilled-- 5 holes on opposing sides, then 2 holes on the other opposing sides. Also used bolts to raise my charcoal bowl up off the bottom, along with the 10.5" grate, raised by 2 metal tubes.

I have it all resting on the original (silver) charcoal pan- since that has holes in it already (saw the idea on here somewhere....), then have 2 concrete blocks for it to rest on, so I can lift off if i need to tend fire.

Hope that made sense without pics lol

Mods are all done (although I think the holes in my 2 lid vents might be small)- a few questions to start with...

1-what is a good 'first smoke'? Just want to learn fire control, etc...but possibly still be able to eat the food I cook, lol

2-Once i've nailed down temps, brisket is going to be my first one...I was curious what temp you all cook at? I've seen ECBs on here at 230, then some say regardless of smoker type to cook at 250?

2a- about how long does it take to do a brisket on the ol ecb? (i know thats a loaded question, I just wanted to get a range)

3- regarding charcoal and wood: how much to use? 

I did comb 5 pages of threads and didn't see the answers to these....trying not to wear people out hahaha
Maybe try a pork loin for a first smoke? They only take 2.5-3 hours, as opposed to a longer pork shoulder smoke. I've never done a brisket.

I always shoot for 225. With charcoal, you're going to get some fluctuation, so maybe try to keep it in the 220-250 range for your first few smokes.

When I used charcoal, I always used lump. It creates much less ash than briquettes. But it's hard to measure, because it comes in uneven sizes, so you just have to eyeball it. The upside of that is that if you need a little more heat, you can add a few little pieces, and if you need a lot more heat, you can add some big lumps.

I usually use wood chunks the size of a tennis ball, one at a time. When the first one gets down to golf-ball size, I add another. 

Yeah, I have the gourmet edition, so the pans are slightly different....but i just found what seems to be a 'happy medium' from everything i've seen.

Thanks for the smoking tips, ill start with a pork loin to see how it goes- as always, thank you all!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky