Newbie Pork Roast tonight

Discussion in 'Pork' started by smkerfriendly74, Jun 17, 2011.

1. I'm new to smoking and yesterday was my first trial run. I made hamburgers because thats what we had in the fridge. I found a pork roast in the freezer and its defrosted. I dont know what kind of roast it is, but its approx. 3 lbs. I'm looking for some good recipies and tips.

thanks

2. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Does it look pretty fatty or is it a rather lean cut. Fat content has a lot to do with what the best way to smoke it would be.

3. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Can you post a pic of the roast?

That would help us give you the best method to use.

4. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Also about how much does it weigh??

5. I'd love to add a picture, but I'm having trouble uploading pics to threads and to my avatar. anybody else have this issue? I can add pics to my albums I'll try to put one in there.  

I'm thinking about giving it a dry rub and slicing it when done.It looks pretty lean. approx. 3 lbs.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  6. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    [​IMG]

7. LOL[​IMG]

8. If it's lean you may want to wrap it in bacon.

lesismore1ca likes this.
  9. The link shows how to add and I already know how to do that. but when I click the OK button, a please wait bar appears and wont go away I let it sit there for 20 min... and still there... X( 

this is probably a question for another forum, but I want advice, and eveyones asking for pics!... durn peuters!!!

10. I have been having the same problem today posting pics. It may be the site or the internet. I usually never have problems.

11. Maybe you need to re-size your pics.  May just be to darn big.  :eek:)  As for advice I would say wrap that darn thing in bacon. Throw some good apple wood chips on the fire and smoke it!!!  Then post pics [​IMG]

12. raptor700

It happens to me all the time.

Just keep trying it will work eventually.

13. pic is up in my album. runnin out of time for smokin. that bacon Idea sounds great but alas, no bacon has found its way into my fridge that hasn't already been devoured.

14. raptor700

Looks like a pork loin.

If you don't have bacon, I've had good luck with rubbing the loin with oil and rolling in seasoned cracker crumbs.

Good luck

15. Thanks to all who replied. I think Ill go with raptor 700's advice... wish me luck, fire'n her up now....what can go wrong?

PS. downsized pics... still doesn't work  

16. is there anything I should do with this other than check temps?  baste,mop,turn?

17. raptor700

No, Just pull at 145º or above.

You want to keep the crumbs crisp.

18. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Raps got it! [​IMG]

19. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

If it is a loin, sounds like they got you covered.