Newbie Introduction

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Backwoods Bill

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 7, 2022
Hi All

I am a newbie and do not have a smoker as of yet. I am looking to get one in the next 6 months or so. I really love smoked meats, smoked sausage, smoked cheese , smoked fish etc. I can’t wait to get into smoking it just sounds so fun and the results are fantastic!

So I’m trying to decide which one to get and am willing to look at all options. I am seriously considering dipping my toes into the water before I go all out. I was looking at a Weber Smokey Mountain, but then got introduced to a Bradley P10 then a Texas Original Pits Luling. These are all very different smokers with different heat sources and very different price points! The Bradley P10 seriously intrigues me however, it has proprietary smoking puck that you can’t get anywhere else And seems expensive. Plus there are some with quirks with the inputs on the controller, child lock, and other stuff, and temperature probes with reading actual temp versus set temp. However it seems like a great smoker.

The Webber Smokey Mountain seems very straightforward and can maintain a perfect temperature most often and has great reviews. Whereas, the Texas Original Pits seems to be a top of the line smoker but it’s probably beyond my price point at this time! But it seems to make excellent barbecue and I’m sure they all do.

I am always looking for advice and if anyone wants to chime in about buying a smoker with pros and cons I would very much appreciate it!

I am here to learn and have fun. Living in a very rural area of North Detroit! With 2 boys (16 &11) a beautiful wife and a dog Who will always eat my mistakes! Ha ha

thank you for having me

Backwoods Bill

Welcome, from California Backwoods Bill Backwoods Bill . I’ve got family in Farmington Hills, almost neighbors. There are a lot of Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) owners on this forum. I’d shy away from the Bradley for the very reason you’re stating. Hopefully some of the WSM owners will chime in and help you with some advice. I don’t have one myself but There’s a lot of enthusiasm with the folks who use them. We hope to see you post pictures of whatever smoker you acquire and then start to see some of your cooking adventures.

Welcome from Kentucky. Lots of WSM owners around here. If you like the idea of the Bradley, but dislike the quirks associated with it, maybe take a look at pellet grills. They do a decent job, and there are models available at about every price point. I'd leave the low end ones alone. though, and look at the mid grade and high end offerings.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. You'll find lots of good info here as well as help with questions. There are lots of options when it comes to smokers charcoal, electric, propane, pellet, and stick burners and often people start with one and end up buying a different one or adding more and often different types. Personally I wouldn't buy a real expensive high end smoker for a first smoker just because you may very well decide you want a different type after you've been smoking for awhile.
I would say start with the type your most comfortable with I to would shy away from Bradley I don't want to be locked into using their pucks but there are different brands that are mostly like them but without the pucks. As was said we have a lot of members with a WSM. You can produce good food with about any of them. If you decide the type smoker you want then our members will have lots of help for you no matter what smoker your thinking you want we probably have at least one or a hundred members using that model

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Welcome Backwoods Bill Backwoods Bill .
I have a Weber Smokey Mountain, its a great smoker. Very easy to use and learn on. I have the 22 size. It produces some great bbq and maintains its temperature very well with very little baby-sitting. Highly recommend it.

I also have a Weber Kettle, two of them actually. A 22 and 26 size. (I have a smoking/grilling problem)
You may want to think about the Weber Kettle too, for a smoker/grill. It’s all about how you set your charcoal briquettes up. There are plenty of threads on that.
Here is my WSM:
4CB36DAB-92A4-4DDD-B840-A18F0F7E2B2E.jpeg

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Welcome to SMF from SE Ga !
I don't have have any of the ones you mentioned but plenty of folks here to help !
Love spending other people's money 😁

Lots of options available now at any price point.
Do you have a budget in mind for your first smoker ?

Keith

Welcome Bill, you came to the right place.
I would strongly recommend any size of the WSM mainly because they are simple to learn on and the build quality is very good. You will likely own one for a good long time. The 22.5" may be a little large for a family of four, they will cook a ton of food! The Weber kettle is another great option to get started on as yankee2bbq suggested. Good luck on your decision and happy shopping.

Welcome to SMF from SE Ga !
I don't have have any of the ones you mentioned but plenty of folks here to help !
Love spending other people's money 😁

Lots of options available now at any price point.
Do you have a budget in mind for your first smoker ?

Keith
I was thinking a maximum of $1,000.00 range

The Camp Chef has some intriguing pellet smokers, I like the Pit Boss, Masterbuilt. But still lean towards the Weber Smokey Mountain

I have a Camp Chef SG24-wifi and like it pretty well. I don't have it yet, but the propane sidekick burner is a cool accessory to add on. You can get a barbecue box which turns it into a mini gas grill for searing steaks, or just grilling a few burgers, a griddle, and even a pizza oven to put on the sidekick.

Last edited:
Welcome from Alpena. I don't have have any of the smokers you mentioned but lots of info here. I can tell you that the more you get into this hobby the more addicting it becomes and you will probably end up with more than one.

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky