Newbie in WV

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greg fetty

Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
I'm getting close (really close) to pulling the trigger on a gravity fed smoker.  I have it narrowed down to two - the Deep South RGC and the Humphrey Mini Tank I.  They look really close in terms of build quality.  Both are manufactured without rivets (other than the push bar on the Humphrey, which is done intentionally in case you need to replace).  What I like about the Deep South is their impeccable reputation for building a quality smoker.  I've spoken with Randall over the phone a couple of times and he's been beyond helpful, as have the folks at Humphrey.  They emailed me pics of completed smokers, answered a slew of questions and were great to speak with.  What I like about the Humphrey is the fact that it is engineered with a reverse air flow and has a round tube charcoal feed, which I think would minimize plugging).  What I don't care for about the Humphrey is the double wheel casters (I know - it's a silly reason, but the DS just looks sleek).   

Are there folks out there who have first hand knowledge about both of these who could shed some light on key features?  For example, is cleaning the ash pan less of a mess in one versus the other?  Does one maintain a more consistent temperature from top to bottom than the other?  Whichever one of these I go with is going to provide more capacity than I need.  I doubt I will ever cook a dozen racks of ribs or 14 pork butts all at once.  I just want something that is going to produce the best results with the least potential for screwing up.  Any and all advice and comments are appreciated.  Please feel free to email me at [email protected] if you prefer not to put anything out here in internet land.  Thanks in advance, and I really enjoy this forum.

Greg 

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from a beautiful, hot sunny day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web.

Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky