Newbie from Northwest Ohio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trumpster1

Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Toledo, OH
Hello fellow 'smokers'

My name is Nathan from Toledo, OH, home of the World Famous Toledo Mud Hens!

This Christmas I asked for a smoker, and my wife kept leading me to believe that I was getting one.  Well......Christmas came and went....no smoker.  So, this past Saturday while at Bass Pro, I bought me a smoker (Merry Xmas to me!).  Bought a 2-door Masterbuilt LP model.  Since I was with my in-laws, the box didn't fit in the back of their car, so I went first thing Sunday morning when they opened at 10am to pick it up with the truck (no worries there).  Had to take the wife to breakfast then finally made it home to start assembly.  Took the wife and I about 20 minutes to put everything together and hook up the gas line, not bad at all, went together very smooth (thought something had to be wrong).  

Turned on the tank, lit the burner and off we went on this incredible journey.  Did two 400* burn and cool downs in about 2 hours for seasoning.  Then it was time for the first experimental roast. 

Did a 2.5 lb chuck roast for my first smoke.

Started the roast at around 3pm at a temp of about 220 - 225 (per the thermometer on the door, which I will be getting another to permanently mount inside).  FINALLY, at 7PM we were eating dinner, could have been a little longer but tasted OH SO GOOD!!!!  Yes, I'm excited, I've wanted to get a smoker for a long time and now that I have one, I will need to install an underground LP tank.

Please forgive me for my lack of understanding all smoking terminology and acronyms, I'll get there, I promise.

A quick snapshot of me....

I'm into trucks, mostly Chevy Silverado's and GMC Sierra's.  I'm an administrator on another web forum for these trucks, it's a blast to get to know other people with similar interests.  I used to be an avid golfer, but 'life' took over an my handicap went from about 2-3 to 13, still not horrible, but not where I want to be.  I love being outdoors (except allergies have decided to take over most of my life).  I will jump on just about any boat if we're heading out fishing.  I used to hunt, but don't have the heart anymore to shoot anything, well, except my 9mm Ruger SR9c at targets and any human who enters my home wishing to leave in a body bag :).  And to support these horrible habits, I am the National Sales Manager for a restaurant supply company.

Looking forward to meeting and/or helping (when I can) anyone else.  I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of stupid questions, but I'll make sure I search first (I hate when new members ask the same damn question the last newbie did and don't take 5 minutes to look for answers).

Happy Smokin'

T1

Nathan

welcome1.gif
Hello from a fellow Ohioan..

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome to the forum Nat!

Looks like you've been bit by the bug and well on your way!

You ve come to the best place for great information on smoking and many other types of cooking! Many friendly people here that love to help. Also make the search button your best friend. There are over a million post in this forum. That powerful information on a vast array of subjects right at your fingertips. Brian

Thank you all for the kind welcome.

Like I had mentioned, I am an Admin on another forum for trucks.  I'm well aware of newbies who come on and ask a ton of questions that have been answered a thousand times over, it's a tough battle.  

So far, I love reading what you all have done to your smokers to make them better and most importantly the recipe's you concoct.  I read about a rum and coke recipe for ribs, I just about spit out my captain and coke :)  

Really looking forward to reading more, there is so much here that I'm starting to get overwhelmed.  Taking it day by day here in Toledo where the temp has struggled to get above 0 for about 4 days in a row.  It's finally starting to get above freezing today, but there is still about 16-18" of snow on the ground.

Keep on smokin'

T1

Welcome Nathan, from a fellow Buckeye! You are gonna love smoking!
Where about's in NW Ohio are you from?

And I hate to start a battle already, but since you mentioned it.....Go Blue!  hahaha  My wife is an OSU fan, I'm UM.  Interesting come game time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky