Newbie from Dallas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

muka

Original poster
Sep 7, 2017
Dallas
Hi,

Just purchased a Charboil Vertical Smoker (Model #: 1520203) and very excited. I used it over the Memorial Day Weekend and I was somewhat pleased with the outcome.

Smoked some Turkey, Chicken and Pork for the first time. I did lots of reading on quite a few websites before I found this site. I am sure I will have questions later but I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum.

Thanks!!

Kris. 

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome!

I am having a hard time getting my smoker to go up to 250 degrees. In a couple of recipes I was following, the instructions says to maintain 240 to 250 degrees for about 3 to 4 hours. to cook my chicken halves. I had to let it go for about 8 hours for the meat to reach 165 degrees and the temperature in my smoker was between 210 and 215 degrees. I have been using about 3 pieces of Hickory wood at a time and have to add water about every hour to keep the pan full. There is a regulator to adjust the flame from Low to High. I have kept it at high. I also try to keep the door close as much as possible. I only will open it about after 2 to 3 hours to look at the meat. 

I have a Vertical Charboil Smoker with spec below.

20-lb Cylinder Piezo Ignition Gas Vertical Smoker

(Common: 46.46-in; Actual: 46.46-in)  

Model #: 15202033

Sorry - I do not have any knowledge on that type of smoker.  You may want to create a new post stating in the title your problem and smoker type.

I am 100% positive you will get some good advice!

Good luck!

Ed

P.S. - I find that poultry will have rubbery skin unless it is cooked at a high temp - like 325F in my offset smoker...or I smoke it at a low temp and finish it in the oven for 3 or 4 minutes at 425F - until the kin sizzles

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky