Newbie from Dallas

Discussion in 'For New Members' started by muka, Sep 13, 2017.

1. muka

muka Newbie

Hi,

Just purchased a Charboil Vertical Smoker (Model #: 1520203) and very excited. I used it over the Memorial Day Weekend and I was somewhat pleased with the outcome.

Smoked some Turkey, Chicken and Pork for the first time. I did lots of reading on quite a few websites before I found this site. I am sure I will have questions later but I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum.

Thanks!!

Kris. 

2. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

This is the best site...for sure.  Good luck on your future smokes!

3. muka

muka Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome!

I am having a hard time getting my smoker to go up to 250 degrees. In a couple of recipes I was following, the instructions says to maintain 240 to 250 degrees for about 3 to 4 hours. to cook my chicken halves. I had to let it go for about 8 hours for the meat to reach 165 degrees and the temperature in my smoker was between 210 and 215 degrees. I have been using about 3 pieces of Hickory wood at a time and have to add water about every hour to keep the pan full. There is a regulator to adjust the flame from Low to High. I have kept it at high. I also try to keep the door close as much as possible. I only will open it about after 2 to 3 hours to look at the meat. 

I have a Vertical Charboil Smoker with spec below.

20-lb Cylinder Piezo Ignition Gas Vertical Smoker

(Common: 46.46-in; Actual: 46.46-in)  

Model #: 15202033

4. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Sorry - I do not have any knowledge on that type of smoker.  You may want to create a new post stating in the title your problem and smoker type.

I am 100% positive you will get some good advice!

Good luck!

Ed

P.S. - I find that poultry will have rubbery skin unless it is cooked at a high temp - like 325F in my offset smoker...or I smoke it at a low temp and finish it in the oven for 3 or 4 minutes at 425F - until the kin sizzles