Newbie cooking ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

qrkid

Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Wilmington, NC
Joined the site many years ago but never got a smoker. Time and life past and I eventually got a smoker. Just got a Pit Barrel Cooker a week ago. My first non gas grill of any type. Tried some St Louis ribs on first day but temp was out of control. Earlier this week I tried a pork butt. Besides making the mistake of getting a boneless butt it turned out ok. Tons of room for improvement.
Today I tried some more ribs.
Did 2 racks. One seasoned with Meat Church Honey Hog Hot and one seasoned with Good Shit by Big Cock Ranch.

Was able to get the PBC around 250 and hung the ribs for about 2hrs between 250 and 270.
Pulled them and wrapped them in foil with some swerve fake brown sugar, butter and a sprinkling of their respective rubs.
Put back in the barrel and cooked them another hour at around 300deg.

I did not get a smoke ring but they were tender but not falloff the bone. My wife and I both loved them. We both preferred the ribs seasoned with the Honey Hog Hot by Meat Church.
Overall I am going to say this was a great success compared to my 1st effort last week.

Attachments

• prep.jpg
    prep.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 19
  • wrap.jpg
    wrap.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 23
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 23
The ribs sure look good and congrats on the new cooker...JJ

Ribs look great. You'll get the hang of that barrel and you'll be knocking some great stuff out.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky