New York style bagels and brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danblacksher

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Brandon, Mississippi
Had a craving for brisket. I have cooked quite a few lately for others and had taste, but not enough to satisfy the taste. I got a select brisket for $40 to see how well i could cook it. I smoked it for 10 hours and at 8:30 pm yesterday put it to bed in my warming cabinet. Got up this am and transferred it and covered it into the oven at 170. Had a 10 hour cook and a 14 1/2 hour rest. It was spectacular! I made New York style bagels. I made everything bagels, sesame seed bagels and plain. For my daughter and son made cream cheese, picked red onions, and brisket on an everything bagel. Also made the same on a sesame seed bagel for myself. On my other daughters was butter, scrambled egg and brisket on a plain bagel. incredible!

Attachments

• bagels and brisket 1.jpg
    bagels and brisket 1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 31
  • bagels and brisket 2.jpg
    bagels and brisket 2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 30
  • bagels and brisket 3.jpg
    bagels and brisket 3.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 29
  • bagels and brisket 4.jpg
    bagels and brisket 4.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 28
  • bagels and brisket 5.jpg
    bagels and brisket 5.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 28
  • bagels and brisket 6.jpg
    bagels and brisket 6.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 30
  • bagels and brisket 7.jpg
    bagels and brisket 7.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 30
  • bagels and brisket 8.jpg
    bagels and brisket 8.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 30
  • bagels and brisket 9.jpg
    bagels and brisket 9.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 29
  • bagels and brisket 11.jpg
    bagels and brisket 11.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 29
  • bagels and brisket 10.jpg
    bagels and brisket 10.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 29
  • bagels and brisket 12.jpg
    bagels and brisket 12.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 29
  • bagels and brisket 13.jpg
    bagels and brisket 13.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 35
Had a craving for brisket. I have cooked quite a few lately for others and had taste, but not enough to satisfy the taste. I got a select brisket for $40 to see how well i could cook it. I smoked it for 10 hours and at 8:30 pm yesterday put it to bed in my warming cabinet. Got up this am and transferred it and covered it into the oven at 170. Had a 10 hour cook and a 14 1/2 hour rest. It was spectacular! I made New York style bagels. I made everything bagels, sesame seed bagels and plain. For my daughter and son made cream cheese, picked red onions, and brisket on an everything bagel. Also made the same on a sesame seed bagel for myself. On my other daughters was butter, scrambled egg and brisket on a plain bagel. incredible!
Dan,

You mentioned "my warming cabinet". What exactly do you mean? A "Real" warming cabinet...like a restaurant? I don't have one.

Wrapped in towels? Set to a certain temperature?

Fantastic bagels! The ones with brisket and red onions would be my target. I love pickled red onions. And I just fermented a couple quarts of them. Now I just need a brisket!

New York Bagels

INGREDIENTS:

Bagels m Ingredients:

• 297 grams Water
  • 10 grams yeast
  • 23 grams sugar
  • 500 grams bread flour
  • 6 grams salt

• 2 Tbsp garlic flakes
  • 2 ½ Tbsp onion flakes
  • 1 ½ Tbsp white sesame seeds
  • 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
  • 1 Tbsp black sesame seeds
  • ½ Tbsp flaky sea salt

Toppings:

• Cream cheese
  • Tomato slices
  • Capers
  • Sliced red onion
  • Dill

INSTRUCTIONS:

Bagel Method:

• Bloom your yeast by combining warm water (90 degrees fahrenheit) with your yeast and sugar. Give a little stir and let rest for 10 minutes.
  • In a separate bowl, add bread flour, salt and yeast mixture and mix with your hands until you get a shaggy dough.
  • Turn dough out onto a work surface and begin kneading for 10 minutes. Once dough reaches a silky smooth surface; fold sides into itself and place in a well oiled bowl. Cover with a damp towel and let rise for one hour.
  • Once the dough has doubled in size, punch the dough in the center to deflate.
  • Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide into 8 equal parts by cutting it in half and then cutting each of those halves into 4 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball by pinching and forming a seam.
  • Place the dough ball seam side down and swirl it around on a non floured surface while maintaining constant contact. Place on a baking sheet and cover with a damp towel for 10 minutes.
  • To make the Everything Flavored seasoning, combine onion flakes, garlic flakes, sesame seeds, poppy seeds and sea salt in a bowl until thoroughly combined.
  • Take a dough ball and press a floured thumb and index finger through the center to make a hole. Twirl the dough around two fingers lightly, pulling and stretching it apart. Repeat the process until you get the right width. The hole should be an inch in diameter.
  • Bring a pot of water to a boil.
  • Drop bagels in one at a time and leave room in the pot for expansion. Gently boil the bagels for 1-2 minutes per side.
  • Drain bagels and place them on a lightly oiled baking sheet, brush with egg wash and sprinkle on your everything bagel seasoning, ore sesame seeds, or nothing for plain.
  • Place in the oven and let back at 425 degrees fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
  • Remove from the oven, let cool and top with your favorite ingredients.

Last edited:
Reactions: babydoc
Dan,

You mentioned "my warming cabinet". What exactly do you mean? A "Real" warming cabinet...like a restaurant? I don't have one.

Wrapped in towels? Set to a certain temperature?
Windlaker its a game changer. I had helped someone who owned a restaurant supply company and he is a very generous person and gave me this warming cabinet. I did have to install a new power button but it works fantastic. Its a game changer for producing incredible bbq. I use to use my oven before this. I cook all my briskets the day before I serve, I also use this to rest my ribs, chicken, turkey, pork shoulders and chuck roast that I smoke. I always plan to have the meat ready 4-10 hours before I serve. I would suggest find one big enough to hold a brisket. I set it to 150 and forget it. No more middle of the night starting the smoker.

So I tool the leftover brisket and took a direct flight from New York to Beijing, and made egg rolls. Dice up the brisket, with garlic and heat in butter with sauce pan with a bag of coleslaw mix adding salt and pepper. Cook by stirring until cabbage starts to wilt, take off the heat and add green onions.. Put the mixture in the fridge for about 20 minutes. egg wash all for sides of the eggroll wrapper and put some of the mixture in the wrapper with cheese, a squirt of your favorite bbq sauce and roll. I also mixed some with cream cheese, more green onions, and additional salt and pepper to taste. Used store bought egg roll wrappers and made 3 types. I made traditional shrimp Egg rolls, Brisket eggrolls and Brisket and cream cheese egg rolls. I did a terrible job on the pics.

Attachments

• 96D0CA1C-6C6E-4781-A905-E66635EDE52F.jpeg
    96D0CA1C-6C6E-4781-A905-E66635EDE52F.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 20
  • D6ED7D42-1777-433B-9A4E-F5CF81A1CC51.jpeg
    D6ED7D42-1777-433B-9A4E-F5CF81A1CC51.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 16
  • C74B1D64-88B3-447B-BFC1-FC6B9ED952D3.jpeg
    C74B1D64-88B3-447B-BFC1-FC6B9ED952D3.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 03C63F0E-ED14-4548-A99E-C71122E63E3F.jpeg
    03C63F0E-ED14-4548-A99E-C71122E63E3F.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 18
That looks fantastic to me!
I love the idea of smoked brisket for NY style bagels. Ever think on doing smoked salmon lox bagels??? They are amazing too :)

That looks fantastic to me!
I love the idea of smoked brisket for NY style bagels. Ever think on doing smoked salmon lox bagels??? They are amazing too :)
Yes sir that is fantastic with that big ol smear of cream cheese. I will have to do both bagels and lox next time and Bagels with land lox(brisket). I really want to up my fish smoking game thats the only area I am weak in, because of a lack of practice.

Yes sir that is fantastic with that big ol smear of cream cheese. I will have to do both bagels and lox next time and Bagels with land lox(brisket). I really want to up my fish smoking game thats the only area I am weak in, because of a lack of practice.
As long as you can cold smoke the salmon (ambient temps and internal temps matter) then it's actually quite easy. You just cure it properly without making it too salty (1.5-1.6% salt should do it) and wait the proper curing time.

If you can easily cold smoke (no stale smoke), calculate/measure salt, cure, sugar, and you can wait then you can make smoked salmon lox no problem lol :D

Reactions: Danblacksher
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky