New York Strip Roast (Mrs Bear’s Birthday)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
New York Strip Roast (Mrs Bear’s Birthday)

Just a Private Covid Birthday Dinner for the 2 of us, during a Raging Pandemic.

I’ve been doing Smoked Prime Rib for years, but I saw a sale on NY Strip Roast at one of our local Food Markets.
I never cared that much for NY Strip Steaks, because My Prime Ribs & Ribeye Steaks kinda have me spoiled.
However I just couldn’t pass up NY Strip Roast @ $3.77 per pound, so we had two coupons & enough points to go there twice & get 2 of them. This is the second of the 2 we got at that time (12-14-2018).

I did this Exactly like I do all of my Prime Ribs & it came out Perfect, just like the first one.

So here’s how it went down:

Prepping (Day #1)
Rinse one NY Strip Roast (4.88LB), dry, score fat cap, coat with Lea & Perrins “Bold”, CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder.
Put Roast in Foil Pan, on a Wire Cooling Rack, cover with plastic wrap, and put in fridge.

Smoking (Day #2)
10:00 AM————Pre-Heat MES to 220°. Add 1 1/2 rows of Maple Dust to my AMNS & light one end.
11:00——————Put Roast on #2 position & AMNS on bottom rack. Pull Dumper out 2” & rotate 180°.
1:00——————-Wipe clean probe with Alcohol wipe & insert into center of roast. Internal temp is 100°.
1:30——————-IT is 113°.
2:00——————-IT is 131°. Add 3/4 row of Maple Dust.
2:30——————-IT is 135°.
3:00——————-IT is 138°. —— Cut heat back to 140° and open & fan door until Smoker Temp is 130°.
3:30——————-Smoker Temp is now 167° and IT is 140°.
3:50——————-Smoker Temp is 156° and IT is 141°. Removed roast & brought in to kitchen.
4:00——————-Slice 4 slices for Dinner—Serve with Broccoli and Parmesan Potatoes.

After eating———Slice up the rest of the roast, put in container in Fridge for future Sammies & meals.

Enjoy my Pictures,

Bear

4.88 pound NY Strip Roast @ $3.77 (with coupon):
IMG_5968.jpeg

Purchased 12-14-18:
IMG_5967.jpeg

Rinsed & Dried:
IMG_5969.jpeg

Cross-hatch cut through Fat into Meat:
IMG_5970.jpeg

Put Roast on cooling rack, into Foil Pan, seasoned with Lea & Perrins "Bold", then CBP, Onion Powder & Garlic Powder:
IMG_5971.jpeg

Ready for Smoker:
IMG_5972.jpeg

Roast Finished On position #2, with AMNS burned out on bottom rack, on right:
IMG_5975.jpeg

Ready to bring in:
IMG_5977.jpeg

First Slice: BTW: (I made the cutting board in 10th Grade, in 1964):
IMG_5978.jpeg

Bear's First 2 slices:
IMG_5979.jpeg

Bear's first night's Supper, with Broccoli and Parmesan Potatoes:
IMG_5981.jpeg

Sliced the rest of the Roast:
IMG_5983.jpeg

Close-up:
IMG_5982.jpeg

Some Leftovers for the Fridge:
IMG_5984.jpeg

Second Night's Supper (Steak & Taters):
IMG_5985.jpeg

Third Night---Cheesesteak Sammy:
IMG_5986.jpeg

Some Leftovers to cut up:
IMG_5987.jpeg

Snacking Bites, with Kelchner's "Brown Sugar Bourbon Marinade & Sauce":
IMG_5988.jpeg

Closer Look:
IMG_5989.jpeg

More of the Same, but on a Roll:
IMG_5990.jpeg

Close-up of same:
IMG_5991.jpeg

Looks Great Buddy, we do strips every once in a while. Like you Ribeye has always been
my favorite, Tell Linda Bobbie and I said Happy Birthday !!

Gary

That looks great Bear! Lots of good meals from that one. Ive picked a couple of those up on sale before but i always cut into steaks. I'll have to do one this way next time. Thanks for posting! And tell the Mrs happy b-day!!

Beautiful roast, great looking plates of food, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY MRS. BEAR!! Nice job again sir.

Robert

Cooked to perfection as usual, it looks great! And as always some good looking sammies! Happy birthday wishes to your wife also!

Ryan

Looks Great Buddy, we do strips every once in a while. Like you Ribeye has always been
my favorite, Tell Linda Bobbie and I said Happy Birthday !!

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
I'll tell her, and Thanks for the Compliment & the Like.

Bear

That's one real fine cook there John, big Like! Happy birthday salutations to Mrs Bear too! RAY

Nope. No way is that as good as prime rib. You shouldn't have to eat it, just send it to me and I'll see to its appropriate disposal!

Great beef and a big like, Bear!

Looks great John .
I did one awhile ago , and used your info as a guide . Came out good .
Tell the Mrs. happy B day .

Looks great and perfectly cooked Bear. All of those plates and sammies look delicious. I actually like Strips over Ribeyes, but I love a Ribroast. Go figure. LOL. Please wish the Mrs. a belated Happy Birthday.

Fantastic looking roast Bear, wish the misses a happy birthday for me.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great John! I too like ribeye's more but hey for that price I would be all over it as well. Happy B-day to Mr's Bear.

Thank You John!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

That looks great Bear! Lots of good meals from that one. Ive picked a couple of those up on sale before but i always cut into steaks. I'll have to do one this way next time. Thanks for posting! And tell the Mrs happy b-day!!

Thank You Travis!
It seems when I buy these as steaks, they always come out tough on the Grill.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Beautiful roast, great looking plates of food, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY MRS. BEAR!! Nice job again sir.

Robert

Thank You Robert!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Cooked to perfection as usual, it looks great! And as always some good looking sammies! Happy birthday wishes to your wife also!

Ryan

Thank You Ryan!!
And for the Like.

Bear

That looks absolutely delicious bear. Nice work and happy birthday to the wife!

Thank You Jake!
Yup---She's older than I am, but that came in Handy!!
When I got home from Vietnam, she had to buy my cases of Beer, because I wasn't old enough!!!

Bear

That's one real fine cook there John, big Like! Happy birthday salutations to Mrs Bear too! RAY

Thank You Ray!!
We both enjoyed this one a lot.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Very nice John. What, we're they out of Rib Roast? 😂 Happy Birthday to the Lady Bear...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky