New Years "Un-Smoke"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bass

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Shamong, NJ
Forgive me but I just dont do cold weather well; and I'm not going to spend the wee hours of New Years tending the WSM in single digit temps. I've got my asbestos undies on so I can take your wusrt :)

Anyhow: I've got an 8 lb pork shoulder. I read all the stuff on the internet about the fat cap and for now I'm in the remove it camp. (just recently bought a new boning knife from Cutco BTW - excellent for this)

IMG_3899-M.jpg

Got her all dressed out, removed the fat cap and reached for my tub of Jeff's original rub..... IT was EMPTY !! :eek:

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I hauled out an approximation of appropriate seasonings: Fresh ground pink himalayan salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic and onion powder and Ancho Chili Powder. A medium coating on all sides.

IMG_3901-M.jpg

Into the roaster with what veggies I had at my disposal. Since I cant smoke with apple wood, I've got sliced apples, an orange for good measure, and carrots. Mainly because I love roasted carrots.

IMG_3902-M.jpg

The small stock pot to the left has the beans soaking overnight for cooking in the morning.
Will turn the oven on at 230 about the time the ball drops.

Come on over in the early afternoon for some pulled pork sandwiches :)

I here you on the cold my friend, it's cold up here in Stamford, Ct. Also, yes those Cutco knifes are good.
I am also a big himalayan salt guy as well.
Sounds , like you've got some good food that will be ready soon.
Do ya think from Stamford, I should leave now, or wait til morning then head on down for late lunch, and some brews?
O I hate driving home late, hope you got an extra room for me?

Yep. 10:30 in the morning and its 11 deg. outside. I'm happy with my indoor experiment for today.

As to the WSM - yeah, I find that if I try the minion method of loading it up with briquets and adding a few lit coals, the whole thing runs too hot. Last year I bought a BBQ guru digital temp controller. All the vents closed and the only air is what comes through the fan on the pit guru....the thing will about shut the fan off altogether and just barely keep a 250 deg. fire, it wants to run hot. I'm thining its leaking air in around the door and possibly around the lid.

My solution has been to not add in as much fuel, but it also means I have to tend to it. I'm going to try and get some high temp fiber wrap and gasket the door and lid and see if it helps.

Here's a pic from 8 am this morning. 9 hours in, and we're at 146 deg. Nudged the Kitchen Aid to 250. I'm thinking this will be a late afternoon pulled pork sandwiches and beans dinner. The door's open, beer's in the fridge. Don't mind the dogs.

2018010108004372-IMG_3903-M.jpg

My 22 WSM like's to run about 250. Which is fine for me. I got lucky and my door doesn't leak. If your's does have you tried to gently bend it back into shape. As for the lid maybe just needs some more seasoning. Lot's of folks go with the gaskets and have been very successful. Good luck. Your meal looks great BTW.

Currently -9 here, 11 degrees would be a heatwave.

Chris

Pork came out pretty good. pulled it out mid afternoon, let it sit covered in foil for an hour on the counter before slicing it. Meat pretty much falling off the bone.
2018010122000717-IMG_3904-M.jpg

The wife cooked up a mess of beans we thought were butterbeans but they are a different kind of bean called fava bean. Not what we were looking for but they aren't bad, turned them into a pork and bean stew with onions and garlic.

2018010122000717-IMG_3906-M.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky