New Years Hunt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
My second son, my Minime and I got an invite from my friend George to hunt over New Years weekend.
Hell yeah, don't have to ask us twice, here we come.

We came up Saturday afternoon, and got busy.
Saw lots of does, even a couple of large, mature older does who'd normally make their way to the freezer.
They get a pass this year because George's family harvested a few dozen does last year and more this year opening week of gun season.
Gotta manage the herd.

So we were targeting hogs and bucks, and bucks have to be at least 6pts and outside the ears.
No luck until Sunday evening when a nice, old-school scoring, 9pt edged on to Nate's plot.
Nate dropped him with a .243.

That works for me, since Nate first started hunting with us I've been happy as long as Nate gets a kill.
As long as I see him successful and happy that makes my day.

A happy young man!

20230101_171548.jpg
1672633639547.jpg
20230101_172136.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Really cool, John. I love to see the young people out there hunting and fishing, they are the future of the sports, and good for you for getting your son out there...

Reactions: chilerelleno
Great looking buck. And son. Since my crohns doesnt allow me to hunt as much my son has become the freezer filler in my house. And yep, I'm more excited for him than I would be for myself when he calls and says he has one for the freezer.

Jim

My second son, my Minime and I got an invite from my friend George to hunt over New Years weekend.
Hell yeah, don't have to ask us twice, here we come.

We came up Saturday afternoon, and got busy.
Saw lots of does, even a couple of large, mature older does who'd normally make their way to the freezer.
They get a pass this year because George's family harvested a few dozen does last year and more this year opening week of gun season.
Gotta manage the herd.

So we were targeting hogs and bucks, and bucks have to be at least 6pts and outside the ears.
No luck until Sunday evening when a nice, old-school scoring, 9pt edged on to Nate's plot.
Nate dropped him with a .243.

That works for me, since Nate first started hunting with us I've been happy as long as Nate gets a kill.
As long as I see him successful and happy that makes my day.

A happy young man!
Congrats to your boy!
I've been trying to get a weekend hog hunt in for a couple months now and MAYBE this weekend will be the time. No bad weather, chores or catastrophes to manage unless one pops up.
Just need my cousin to be hunting as well (his lease) and he was open to it before Christmas so fingers crossed!

Gluck with any future hunting and I hope you get something before the season ends :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky