New Year's BOLOGNA: Q-View Plus....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think that is what he used pops, I never thought of using one I used to heat up a standard roaster on the stove top, then I saw another thread a little back where they used the electric roaster, and I thought to my self geee what didn't I think of that

Where did you get the poacher?  Wonder if an electric roaster would work?  Just checked and this one goes from 150° to 450°.. available at Walmart - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-22-Quart-Roaster-Oven-Stainless-Steel/14320882
An electric roaster that gets down to 150° would work fine, Pops.

I managed to locate mine on Craigslist. The seller inherited it from his aunt who never used it. Like new, sitting in her garage for half a century. He used it once to see if it worked & decided to sell it. Lucky me. I like the height of this roaster so I dont have to bend down nor find a tabletop for it. 1950 Westinghouse Model RO-91....baby works like a charm! Retro-cool with that 'high-tech' analog timer on the front...

33368f1a_poacher_sml.jpg

Hey cougar I have the exact same set up you have here, the roaster we have is an old hand me down from my wifes grandmother and we were lucky enough to find the stand cheap at a flea-mrkt,

it is hard to find the stand/base around here any more

Hey cougar I have the exact same set up you have here, the roaster we have is an old hand me down from my wifes grandmother and we were lucky enough to find the stand cheap at a flea-mrkt,

it is hard to find the stand/base around here any more
Some of the online prices I've seen for this same unit are ridiculous! But it shows there's still quite a market for the old-school retro stuff!

I used this unit for making a 22-lb turkey recently. Came out fantastic, moist, evenly-cooked! 

-kevin

Thanks for post. I will definitely be trying your recipe and techniques. That is some beautiful looking Balogna! High quality post!

Hey Kevin / Cougar78 - How do you store it? Do you slice it and vacuum seal it then freeze it it small batches or leave it whole?  Thanks

Hey Kevin / Cougar78 - How do you store it? Do you slice it and vacuum seal it then freeze it it small batches or leave it whole?  Thanks
The smaller ring chubs i've left whole (for slicing off hunks) in the fridge.

I've taken portions of the sliced bologna (large chub) and have done the following:

a.  some goes into ziplock backs in the meat/deli drawer of the fridge. (quick access)

b. some gets put into freezer ziplocs & put into the freezer (secondary access)

c.  the rest gets vaccum packed (food-Saver) for freezer storage (long-term access)

Since the boys are still plowing through it so quickly, I'm constantly pulling bags from the freezer to keep the deli drawer stocked.

I dont think I really have to worry about long-term storage.

- Kevin

Last edited:
Thanks, Kevin, I can't wait to try out your recipe. I bet it feels good to know what your kid's bologna is made of! No mystery meat, that's for sure.

OH MAN, I think that looks like a nice project for the weekend. LOOKS GREAT, AND I STILL LOVE BOLOGNA. Hey twig try grilled bologna with grilled onions and miracle whip. mmmmmm mmm lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky