New Weber 22” issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigboy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Delaware County, Pa
I got a 22 WSM a few months ago and for some reason I just can’t get the temp below 300 degrees. I fired it up tonight and when it hit 175 I closed 2 of the 3 baffles and left the 3rd opened about 1/8 of an inch and it STILL got up to 300. I never had issues with my 18” even when it was new. I checked and everything is sealed and the baffle at the dome is the only other thing that seems to be getting air.

What else can I do? I wanted to smoke a pork butt overnight but at this rate I’ll have to get up at 3:00 AM to pull it.

I started with 5 briquettes in the center of it. Then I waited until 175 to shut down 2 of the 3 vents and it keeps soaring.

That sounds weird, but I've got an 18 not the 22. Is it super windy? I have trouble with high temps when the wind is blowing.

Mike

There’s a breeze but nothing I haven’t dealt with before. I have tried for about 10 cooks and I can’t control the temps on it at all. It’s frustrating.

Had all 3 vents on the bottom closed for the last half hour and the temp went from 300 to 315.

I’m closing the top half way now.

I noticed you said you got it a few months back, but this sounds like the first time I ran mine (2 weeks ago maybe). The more I use it the lower this gets, but yeah, I know everyone says alway keep the top vent open 100%, but the first weekend I used it I had to close top vents to 25-50% multiple times.

Reactions: bigboy
New WSM's tend to run hot, but put that aside.

5 briquettes; good. All bottom vents open; bad. Those 5 briquettes will get a LOT of air, burn hot, and start a lot of the surrounding briquettes burning.

I use Royal Oak Ridge, a denser briquette than KBB. When I'm shooting for a 225F smoke, I'll crack 2 of the bottom vents open only 1/8", top vent full open. Load 6-8 hot briquettes, usually about 1/2 gray (bottom hot, top, black), in the center of my cold briquette/wood load in the fire ring. All wood is buried in the charcoal so it can pre-heat and burn more cleanly. Put the top on and let the temp slowly climb. It usually takes about an hour to get in the 200F range, then I load the meat. When you have the top off, there's a lot of air hitting whatever briquettes are burning. You can get a spike. I'll usually close down all but one vent, and 1/8" gives me a solid 225F or so.

You'll learn what works for yours because no two WSMs are the same, close, but they all have minor differences.

Someday when you have some extra time start it up again. Put a few chunks of wood near or on the lit coals with vents fully open and let it burn with a heavy smoke(no food in this smoke). Look for air leaks all around the smoker(you'll see the smoke where it's leaking). It sounds like either your out of round on the mid section(which can usually be fixed) or your door is leaking. It your out of round you can give it a slight bear hug to get it back into round. If it's the door then just use your knee and gentle message it back into shape. If its really bad take a picture of it leaking and contact customer support.

Chris

Honestly I have never heard of this happening to anybody else. Even here in Florida with 90 degree outside temps. My WSM will stay at 225 for hours & it has leaks all over it. Somehow you are starting too big a fire & the one bad thing with a WSM is that it is very hard to bring the temp down if you overshoot your target temp. That being said any temp between 225-300 will work just fine. I run my Lang at 270-280 most of the time.
Al

Honestly I have never heard of this happening to anybody else. Even here in Florida with 90 degree outside temps. My WSM will stay at 225 for hours & it has leaks all over it. Somehow you are starting too big a fire & the one bad thing with a WSM is that it is very hard to bring the temp down if you overshoot your target temp. That being said any temp between 225-300 will work just fine. I run my Lang at 270-280 most of the time.
Al

I never had any issues with my 18 at all. The more I look into this issue with the 22.5 it seems pretty common.

I just added another bag and it does look like the door has a decent leak on one side. I’m trying to flex it into place and not having much luck. Would you guys suggest a gasket or a new door?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky