New Vertical smoker and meat location questions...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kurt boutin

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Southern NH
So I just got a new Masterbuilt 20051311 GS30D 2-Door Propane Smoker

And plan on doing a couple racks of baby backs and some boneless skinless chicken thighs this weekend.  The question is:  is there an optimum position for each type of meat?  

I know that the thighs won't be on the smoker nearly as long as the ribs, but WHERE should everything go?  Top, bottom, or middle?  Does it matter (it would seem to me that it would)?

Kurt

I've always put the ribs near the top and chicken below everything else. Top vent wide open for exhaust and intake vents can be adjusted. I've also used a disposable drip pan below everything to catch grease drips for easy clean-up....I'm basically being lazy using that option. It's your call on the foil/no foil debate using the 2-2-1 method....unless I was doing a Johnny Trigg style rib cook I'm pretty much a no foil guy.....have fun with the new unit.....HTH, Willie

Thanks for the reply!  I'm a 3-2-1(ish) guy when it comes to ribs.  This is going to be an adventure as it's a new smoker for me, but...I got my handy dandy Maverick 732, and away we go! :)

Ok, so, in an interesting twist...I set up the smoker, and am in the middle of my first smoke in it, and the lowest temp I can get it to is about 250...not my ideal temp for ribs, but I'm going to go with it.  Upper vent is as closed as it can be...

Anyone have any thoughts?  Right now, it's crept up to 255... after about a half hour into the smoke.

Kurt

Open the upper vent.... when smoking, you need air flow.... air flow also speeds up cooking like a convection oven would....

Actually, I was right... 10 minutes later, it had jumped to 260....I don't want it hotter...I actually want it cooler.

I was shooting for 225-230, but the temp is down as low I can can turn it.

I just closed up the vent again...it was smoking plenty even before i had opened it up.

I had planned on having them in there for 3 hrs, but now I'm rethinking...

Any suggestions?        
help.gif

Kurt

We're an hour and 10 minutes in, and the temp keeps climing...268 right now.  Growing more concerned...

Nope...i put in about 4 wood chunks in cast iron frying pan so it wouldn't catch fire from the source.

Just wrapped the ribs after 2 hrs.  They looked pretty good.  My guess is that I'll just have to shorten up my smoke time.  I just put some boneless skinless thighs on as well.  No "BEFORE" Q-view, but I will take pics of the after.

Kurt

Ok, so, boneless skinless chicken thighs...

First Q-View

Second, apparently, I should have rinsed the brine off the chicken before throwing the rub on them and throwing them on the smoker...they came out very salty.  Though I cooked to temp, they appear overcooked...

Reactions: gary s
Good job, that stuff is plumb purdy !         
points1.png

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky