New to this..... Smoke and construct

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kbersuch

Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
Hello, I'm from Southern California, I've been wanting to start smoking meat for awhile now. I'm an avid fisherman so I have fish, fish and more fish to smoke but also want to smoke all other meats. I've been debating for along time to buy a smoker or to build a smoker. My desicion was to make one, now I'm stuck on weather i should build a vertical smoker or a horizontal smoker, what are the pros and cons of each? Does one smoke better then the other? Maybe some of you novice/ beginner smokers can help with my desicion. I just recently picked up some things I'm going to use for the build. I got two 55 gallon barrels, and an old 22.5 inch Weber grill for some parts. Since I'm going to be welding I had to get the paint off some how. Burning it, wasn't about to do that, grinding it, way to much work for me. So I got on the phone and found a local sandblaster and just dropped them off today.
I should be getting the parts back soon. In the mean time I need to come up with a design. Any input would be great thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky