New to the site and to smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Charcoal briquettes versus hardwood lump charcoal

• Hardwood lump charcoal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Charcoal Briquettes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

codydunmire

Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Edgewood, Maryland
Hi my name is Cody and i live in harford county maryland. I just got a smoker at the beginning of June. I have made some ribs and some beef brisket on there and they seem to turn out good. I have a small brinkmann charcoal vertical smoker with a water pan. I plan on doing a pork shoulder tomorrow. I just am not entirely sure on technique. I use wood chips in my smoker but im not sure if i should add the wood chips as soon as i start or if I should wait until it gets up to temperature. I soak the chips so that they don't burn to fast. It just seems like I don't get enough of the smoke flavor. I plan on using hickory for the pork shoulder. I have also used Apple wood, and cherry wood before. Would I be further ahead using chunks instead of the chips? Also is there a difference in the charcoal briquettes versus the hardwood lump charcoal? Right now I am just using the briquettes. Thanks in advance for any tips or idea's that you give me.

Welcome man! I'm down in VA not too far away. I just joined recently too and learning a lot. I'm doing my very first butt this coming weekend. I don't have a smoker but use my weber 22" kettle.

Maybe use wood chunks instead of chips? I think you'd get more smoldering from the chunks versus the chips that just burn away even soaking them. If you can't get chunks maybe put a bunch of the chips in foil and poke holes in the top of the foil.

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome from a nice warm day in East Texas and the best forum on the internet, Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything. Glad you joined up.

Gary

Cody-

Welcome aboard! Great to have you apart of the forum.

IMHO:

- Add your wood chips/chunks when it comes to temp, you can add meat/food at the same time as well.

- I would never recommend soaking wood chips/chunks prior to dropping them on the coals.  When you use wet wood, it will steam and smoke, the steam will carry the creosote from your smoke and condense on your cold meat giving your a bitter taste.  

- Chunks will burn slower

- Lump Vs. Briquettes:

Lump- burns bit hotter, lights faster,  is more natural, has less ash, inconsistent sizes, and is more responsive to oxygen.

Briquettes-  Is harder to light, tends to have a bit of a chemical smell, burns longer, more controlled temp, more ash, & cheaper

For me I go with Lump, I like the response to oxygen, it starts quicker when adding, and it is pure.  People will argue both sides, best for you to try both and form your own opinion.

Good Luck and Smoke ON!

-Jason

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky