New to the scene but very keen....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

propositionwes

Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Hi All,

I have rescued a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker from total abandonment and am keen to get started. I've smoked a few Beer Can Chickens and a couple of racks of ribs on my regular grill using a tin foil bag of hickory but this weekend will be first time using a dedicated smoker.

I stopped at a butcher's on the way home yesterday looking for a bone in pork shoulder, the butcher told me that since most of his customers use the pork to make sausages I would have order a bone-in one. Rather than postpone my first real smoke I had him cut me about 5-6lbs of pork shoulder which is very loosly connected. Should I tie the 2 peices together? Should I totally seperate them and give each one a full rub?

Any other help or hints would be great.

"Smoke Meat Everyday"

Welcome to the club!

Give it a full rub.  Then you can tie it together or not.  I probably would not (more smoky flavor all over the place!).  Take the meat up to 165*, wrap in foil and then take to 195-205* before shredding.  Spritz with apple juice when you foil it.  Don't forget to post the Q-view!

I would just rub it all up and throw it in the smoker. Nothing wrong with doing some learning smokes untill you find a bigger hunk of animal to try at a longer smoke.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

Welcome to the party!

I would rub the whole thing up - gives you more bark. I would cook it nice and low, and I rarely foil except when it's done and resting in a dry cooler.

welcome1.gif

I agree will Ellymae.

I too agree with Ellemae. While looking through the WIKI's look at Spatchcocking a Chicken
biggrin.gif
  Helps alot and is a bit quicker
drool.gif

Have fun and next time, order a bone-in Butt;the come with a built-in thermometer(when the bone pulls out easily,it's done
439.gif

welcome1.gif
to the forum and remember to,

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky