New to the Forum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokey70guy

Original poster
May 20, 2017
Hello,

My name is Sam McMahan. I live in Irving Texas. I've been cooking (smoking) for several years now and have cooked various types of meats (Beef, Pork, Chicken, Turkey and Fish).  I've used gas and charcoal grills, as well as charcoal grills as smokers. Most have been commercial type smokers although I have used cookers made from 55 gal drums, with the latest being a converted propane tank which I was very happy with.

I recently sold my propane tank smoker to a friend and purchased an "Old Country Angus" smoker. The image below is very similar to mine with the exception that mine has two exhaust stacks on top coming from the vertical stack.

I am in the process of tuning it up by adding thermometers and seasoning it. Yesterday (5-19-17) I burned a bag of charcoal at a high temp to burn off the internal coating that came from the builder. Tomorrow, I plan to coat the cooking chambers with cooking oil and do an all day burn using the wood I normally cook with (Hickory, Mesquite, Pecan) Whatever I have left from previous cooks.

This cooker has two cooking chambers. A main horizontal chamber and a vertical, multi-rack chamber at the opposite end from the fire box. I noticed that the vertical chamber was 175 degrees cooler than the main chamber at the hottest point of the burn. I did expect a difference but not that much. I've just been made aware of using tuning plates to even out the temp in the cooking chamber. I am wondering if they might help raise the temp in the vertical stack as well.

Sam, welcome to SMF!  Glad you are here and bringing that impressive smoker with you.  I can't help with your question, but most smoker manufacturers are more than willing to help you if you own their product.  They want you to be happy.

Have fun!

Ray

Sam,

Welcome to SMF from Texas as well.

​Nice rig you got.  My understanding of the vertical box is for cooking things at a lower temp (Smoking sausage and fish).

But I have never used one.  As around on the site, someone will help provide you with some info.

I would post a question in a new thread specific to the smoke are the situation.

Good Luck and...

Smoke ON!

- Jason

I got her seasoned up by applying cooking oil to the chambers and laying in 6lbs of bacon. I fired her up with hickory and mesquite and let her smoke for about 12 hrs. About 3:00, I added a small brisket (1.7 lbs). It had absolutely no fat on it. While cooking the bacon, I discovered where the hot spots were in the main chamber. I cooked the brisket for 4 1/2 hrs st 225. I pulled it and wrapped it when the temp was 135. It cooked for about an hour then I pulled it off to rest when the temp was 165. I normally want it between 145-150 but this turned out ok. It had a good smoke ring although the smoke flavor was a little strong. My wife loved it, I liked it and my buddy across the street who does a lot of cooking himself liked it si I guess things turned out okay.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky