New to the Forum - Buying an MES with AMZNPS this week

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

derrickhokit

Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
Creston, CA
Hi Everyone,

I am new to cold smoking and electric smoking although I have been oak fire smoking for quite a long time.  I am a 25 year old married with 2 kids and live on the central coast of Ca.  

I have seen the mods on here as well as all the different talk about the many models of smokers. It seems to be the  MES that is the number 1 choice. It also matches with my budget ( witch isn't much right now) as well as does everything I want it too. I will be purchasing the MES 30 as its only $177 for the digital model right now. 

I am also planning on purchasing the AMZN Pellet Smoker. I want this so I can cold smoke as well as not refill the wood chamber constantly. I am hoping I wont have to mod anything with the dry climate that I am in. 

My dream would be to open it up, season it, fill it with my recipes, lite up my AMZNPS and close the door and walk away. I am a realistic person though and know nothing ever works that easy for me. 

Any advice is completely welcomed, I thank you all for all the time and posts you have done as it has made my adventure into smoking much more entertaining and easy. You all have great opinions and awesome product knowledge. Also , my first item to smoke this weekend is a 12 pound brisket. Who has the best recipe, wood recommendation, temp recommendation? Any hing helps :)

Thanks guys I am very happy to be apart of your community!

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us! Would you mind updating your profile to show the other SMF members where you are located?  Might meet a few neighbors!

One of our Admin's has a great brisket sticky.  Dutch's directions are a great way to start out! Using the Search tool you can find all kinds of helpful information.

We love to see pictures of what you are cooking (or what we call q-views here at SMF).  To "upload the q-views" just follow the directions here and it will be easier. If you are using a cell phone, an IPad or a kindle, go to the main SMF page and click the Mobile button. Will make the uploads a bit faster too.

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums and some guidelines of how to interact within the forums. Off site links are not allowed here at SMF per TulsaJeff. Not that you have done anything wrong....just a little bit of FYI for new members!

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

Last edited:
Howdy, Derrick!

:welcome1: to SMF !

You've come to the right place. It sounds like you have done your homework, but there is one more thing you should consider (IMO) and that is the Maverick ET73 dual probe remote thermometer. Todd Johnson sells them at a good price.

I found that I could not trust the temp readings coming from my MES40 that I bought a couple of years ago. I already had the older version of the Maverick and have not had a problem with controlling temps and reading ITs since.

HI! 

Thanks for the advice. I had planned on ordering this exact thermometer as its got very good reviews. Is Todd Johnson the maker of the AMZNPS ? If you I would absolutely love to order from him. He seems like an incredible business person as well as has amazing products. I have chosen to order his products elsewhere due to the high shipping costs on his site. I have amazon prime and get free shipping, VS the $30 in shipping from his website. I would gladly order more money worth of product if that meant free shipping, but I passionately hate paying for shipping. If I can get it free I will choose that route. As I said im on a budget, not trying to be a cheapo but have to allocate my money to the correct spots :) Thanks again for your advice. 

Yes Todd is the maker and he also is a forum Sponsor and we take that seriously here.  He has the best Customer Service you will find any where.

Kat

Well maybe I can justify the shipping if I order enough product from him. I have read only good things about his pellets and would love to try them. 

Well maybe I can justify the shipping if I order enough product from him. I have read only good things about his pellets and would love to try them. 
Not Fussing.....but he is a sponsor and a Mod here.  We do try and support all of our sponsors.  They help SMF stay here so we can have fun and play.

Kat 
biggrin.gif

HI!

Thanks for the advice. I had planned on ordering this exact thermometer as its got very good reviews. Is Todd Johnson the maker of the AMZNPS ? If you I would absolutely love to order from him. He seems like an incredible business person as well as has amazing products. I have chosen to order his products elsewhere due to the high shipping costs on his site. I have amazon prime and get free shipping, VS the $30 in shipping from his website. I would gladly order more money worth of product if that meant free shipping, but I passionately hate paying for shipping. If I can get it free I will choose that route. As I said im on a budget, not trying to be a cheapo but have to allocate my money to the correct spots :) Thanks again for your advice.
If you order the Maverick ET-732 thermometer from Todd, your entire order ships for free.     
irony.gif

biggrin.gif

Welcome to the forum! 
beercheer.gif

Reactions: deansomers
Thanks Smoking B !!

I was under the impression only the one item would be shipped for free. I will definitely be ordering the AMZNPS and the thermometer from them. Very excited about this , thanks again!

Thanks Smoking B !!

I was under the impression only the one item would be shipped for free. I will definitely be ordering the AMZNPS and the thermometer from them. Very excited about this , thanks again!
You're quite welcome 
beercheer.gif
   And you won't find any better customer service than what you get from Todd 
first.gif

Don't forget to put in the SMF member code for the extra 20% off 
icon14.gif

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, Derrick!  This is the best place I know for sharing ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  There are plenty of friendly, knowledgeable folks who really enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input here, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

You'll love your MES and AMNPS...they're a match made in heaven!  Todd's and good guy, and like everyone else mentioned, his customer service is second to none!  And that Maverick therm is great too, I never smoke without it!

Good luck, and have fun!

Red

:welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you joined us! We have over 50,000 members now who just love to share what they know. You've come to the best place on the net to learn and share everything Q!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky