New to Sous Vide via Christmas Present

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am about to enter the new world (new to me) of Sous Vide Cooking and have absolutely no experience.

I understand the concept, but have no references as to temperature or length of cook for the different cuts of meat.

Should I invest in a Sous Vide Cook Book or is there some sort of chart out there somewhere on the internet that I can use as a reference?

I'm pretty pumped. My daughter in law read my mind this year. . .Great Kid! And it's an Inkbird!

Thanks,

John

Great gift you have! I do believe there are charts for SV out there and also Bearcarver Bearcarver has several in his step by steps. What's first on the agenda to try?

Ryan

Click on this link.... Read it thoroughly, probably several times, and you will understand SV...
WARNING.... as with other stuff, the web and U-Tube have folks that post stuff that is incorrect....

Thank you Brokenhandle Brokenhandle jcam222 jcam222 and especially daveomak daveomak for the link.

I realized that a lot of the "information" on U Tube and the internet in general is incorrect and in some instances downright dangerous.

This is why I consulted the people I have confidence in. . .The people here on our Sight!

Probably will tackle a nice juicy steak first.

Thanks again Dave,

John

Reactions: daveomak
daveomak daveomak the link he sent is very informative and helpful. Check the Anova and other manufacturer websites as well for recipes/temps and times. I got one last Christmas and have really enjoyed it.

Reactions: daveomak
Click on this link.... Read it thoroughly, probably several times, and you will understand SV...
WARNING.... as with other stuff, the web and U-Tube have folks that post stuff that is incorrect....

^^^This^^^ is the Bible for SV food safety.
You can find recipe ideas here and lots of other places, and just like smoking you will learn a lot from your own creativity and experiences.

Have had an Anova for about a year, and probably my favorite small kitchen appliance/gadget.

I second the Doug Baldwin site and/or book as well as the Anova recipes. They will definitely get you keyed into process and technique. When I started with sous vide I began with a spiral notebook (which I still use) with times, temps, seasonings and results thinking that in time I would enter all that information into a spreadsheet. I still have not built a spreadsheet, but my notebook is still very handy. The only gongs I've ever had was cooking beans in mason jars (I'm at 5400' so that might have been part of the problem) and trying to nail the perfect soft boiled egg.

There are some Brazilian guys with a YouTube channel called "Sous Vide Everything" I enjoy watching from time to time. Sometimes they do side-by-side comparisons of certain meats.

I got to get me one of these. Been saying that for a few years now. Congrats on your new toy!

Go with daveomak daveomak advice!
Be safe, there is all kinds of mis-information on the internet.
If you have any specific questions just PM Dave!
He will be more than happy to explain everything to you!
Al

I sous vide multiple times a week. I sv'd a prime rib for Christmas. I have many SV cookbooks, from Thomas Keller to Steve Cykla, but my favorite is " Modernist Cooking Sous Vide" by Jason Logsdon. He's scientific, thorough and his recipes are approachable, unlike Thomas Keller. The advantage of SV is that you can really never overcook, but time guidelines are helpful. Good luck, it is my kitchen's most used tool.

I sous vide multiple times a week. I sv'd a prime rib for Christmas. I have many SV cookbooks, from Thomas Keller to Steve Cykla, but my favorite is " Modernist Cooking Sous Vide" by Jason Logsdon. He's scientific, thorough and his recipes are approachable, unlike Thomas Keller. The advantage of SV is that you can really never overcook, but time guidelines are helpful. Good luck, it is my kitchen's most used tool.
hairicon hairicon

Thanks for the suggestions!

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky