New to smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokeyLee15

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Central Ohio
Hey All,

Very green to smoking. I’ve worked with my buddy on his Traeger but he is dealing with the temp fluctuations that the early gen or all have. He and I have become frustrated so I have decided to get into this hobby on my own. I won’t be smoking too much or too big. I’ve been reading a lot and looking to buy a Rec Teq 340 with a few accessories. What do you all think?

Other hobbies include wood working, auto racing and lots of likker making!
Located in central Ohio.

Thanks.

Reactions: JC in GB
Hey smokeylee ,

Welcome to the forum and that smoker you mentioned looks nice. Have you ever looked at a "stick burner"? Just a straight up wood smoker log splits only. To me that's how I enjoy my meats smoked with all wood and manage the fire manually. There is this like primitive history and connection to fire and cooking meat which requires a labor of love hahahaha ..im still learning and feel like I always will with bbq trying new things and experimenting which makes it fun. A lot of people on this forum have great knowledge so enjoy and smoke on!!!

Hey smokeylee, welcome. It’s my first day here as well!

The rec tec grill is a nice pellet grill. I seriously considered one before landing on the Traeger pro575. Pellet grills in general are very flexible because they can handle smoking at low temps, and have the ability to crank out high heat for searing and everyday grilling. For example my Masterbuilt smoker doesn’t go higher than 275, but that’s fine for what I use it for.

all that being said I think the rec tec is a great versatile grill you’d be happy with.

Welcome from Virginia! The RT anything is a greats smoker. I believe when the founders of Treager started working for Pitboss, Traeger lost their edge. Now it is simply a overpriced Pitboss. There are alot of pellet smokers on the market, Recteq and Yoder are in my option one 2 you need to be looking at.

Welcome from Iowa! Glad you joined us. I have heard nothing but good things about rec tec

Ryan

welcome - Rec Teq pellet grills are great man! I have owned my RT-700 for over a couple years and love it! No regrets what so ever. lots of guys have them here.

Lee & Darcy, welcome from Gilbert, AZ! RT's are fabulous units from everything I've heard on this site, guy pull off great cooks and the customer service is the best. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky