New to smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

btlowry

Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
Just signed up, I have been "lurking" for quite some time trying to gain some knowledge. I have a "perfect flame" propane smoker I bought last year on clerance at Lowes.

I have read the basics e-course and I am subscribed to the newletter.

Beside the smoker, I bought a remote thermometer and learned how to use it.

Tried my first smoke yesterday afternoon(Jeff's latest newsletter inspired me to try a roast) that went into the night. It did not go as easy as I thought it would but the roast turned out well and the wife and kids loved it.

My main trouble was keeping the heat consistent on the smoker, thin walls and no insulation made it tough to maintain a constant temp. It was in the 40's with a light breeze and I was checking on it about every 15-20min and making adjustments.

I searched for modifications here and plan on adding some hardibacker board for insulation as well as a few fire bricks to hold heat and a good seal on the door. I also saw some references to  Sentry propane temp regulator/valve but when I searched they appear to be discontinued, any other options to the valve?

I am just getting started smoking and will probably just continue to do more reading than typing. I plan on building a smoke house in the future for smoking sausage as I am also starting to do my own deer processing and also plan on buying or building a larger pit type smoker in the future

Welcome to smf,its good to have ya! In time i'm sure you will be sailing along just fine.just remember it takes some time to figure out how your smoker runs and how to do things. Do as many smokes as you can to get comfortable,and read and ask questions.And remember we love pictures!!! good luck

Welcome to SMF. There are a lot of very friendly & knowledgeable folks here to help you. Good luck & glad to have you aboard.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to SMF - lots of great help here. Enjoy the ride  

Welcome!

Good luck and have fun!

Craig

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky