New to smoking, question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BearClawMaky

Original poster
May 28, 2020
I've been an advid griller and even cook for a long time but am just getting into smoking. I recently bought a smoker box for my grill and am letting my brisket rest as I post this. My question is, as I get more into smoking what are the benefits of buying a smoker vs using the smoker.box on my grill? Any insight into this would be helpful, thank you!

Without knowing what grill your using. I would say temperature control would be the biggest benefit. Also ease of use would play a major part of the equation.

Chris

With a Genesis 2, then I would say temp control and the amount of smoke infused into the meat. An auxiliary smoke tube would help with longer smokes.

Chris

Reactions: BearClawMaky
Low and slow smoking can be achieved on a gas grill but with some challenges.
Those challenges being lack of good temp control and the fact that gas grills are overly vented for safety reasons.
Thus, you'll find you have more temp fluctuations and burn through more wood chips during the process.

Any new Weber Genesis with a smoker box is great for giving steaks, burgers, chicken, and veggies some smoke flavor.
But as dedicated smoker, better options are available.
And Weber really screwed the pooch on the newer Genesis models by reverting back to deep fire boxes, vertical burners, and gaping exhaust vents.

End of rant.

You could either go with a Weber Kettle grill which can be used to smoke your meat or you could check other options. My first smoker years ago was a brinkman vertical charcoal smoker...I didn't much care for that one as it was difficult to keep the charcoal going due to ventilation issues I guess. I waited a few years and bought a brinkmann smoker with the offset wood box which worked decent but didn't retain heat very well. I now use a Masterbuilt Electric smoker with an A-Maze-N which works great...I haven't had a bad cook yet out of it.

How did the brisket turn out?
It came out good! I had some hiccups throughout mostly with having to open the hood many times to replenish wood chips and put out flaming wood chips. It was about a 9 hour smoke which I felt was long for only a 4.5 pound brisket, but it was a good experience and am going to try a chicken tomorrow and shop around for a smoker tonight

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
That's good to hear and 9 hours sounds about right.
What kind of smoker are you shopping for?
Not really sure to be honest. Being I'm brand new to the smoking world I've read an electric is probably the best place to start so I'm currently eyeying the MasterCraft Adventure Series 130B. Any recommendations electric or otherwise?

Not really sure to be honest. Being I'm brand new to the smoking world I've read an electric is probably the best place to start so I'm currently eyeying the MasterCraft Adventure Series 130B. Any recommendations electric or otherwise?

Electrics cetainly are as close to set it and forget it as you can get.

The MES 130B is a good starting point but it is known to have control panel issues.
Also, it is a small unit. You will be limited for space in that you won't be fitting a whole packer brisket or full slabs of ribs in it. So keep that in mind.
Also, you will want an A-MAZE-N pellet tray for better smoke production and longer smokes since these MES units will burn through woodchips every 45 minutes or so.
You will also need a separate thermometer set up for monitoring actual chamber temperatures and the internal temperature of the meat. DO NOT GO BY THE BUILT IN MEAT PROBE OR CONTROL PANEL TEMP.

If you don't me asking, what is your budget? That will be the determining factor.
There are better smokers like Smokin-It, Smokin Tex but those come with a price.
I would recommend my Smoke Hollow Smoke-Tronix but the line was discountinued a couple of years ago when Masterbuilt bought out Smoke Hollow so there is no longer any support.
There are a few units out there in the price range of $300 to $600.
These are most likely NOS or refurbished units.

I've included a link to Bearcarver's MES guide. He is the resident MES expert here.

Last edited:
Electrics cetainly are as close to set it and forget it as you can get.

The MES 130B is a good starting point but it is known to have control panel issues.
Also, it is a small unit. You will be limited for space in that you won't be fitting a whole packer brisket or full slabs of ribs in it. So keep that in mind.
Also, you will want an A-MAZE-N pellet tray for better smoke production and longer smokes since these MES units will burn through woodchips every 45 minutes or so.
You will also need a separate thermometer set up for monitoring actual chamber temperatures and the internal temperature of the meat. DO NOT GO BY THE BUILT IN MEAT PROBE OR CONTROL PANEL TEMP.

If you don't me asking, what is your budget? That will be the determining factor.
There are better smokers like Smokin-It, Smokin Tex but those come with a price.
I would recommend my Smoke Hollow Smoke-Tronix but the line was discountinued a couple of years ago when Masterbuilt bought out Smoke Hollow so there is no longer any support.
There are a few units out there in the price range of $300 to $600.
These are most likely NOS or refurbished units.

I've included a link to Bearcarver's MES guide. He is the resident MES expert here.

Thank you for the link! Yea that sounds a little small, I'd like to stay under $400 if at all possible

i have the first generation genesis three burner front to back instead of side to side. i have no problem with temp control and i use several methods for smoke i put chunks on the bars or put my pan with chips or pellets' or chunks or combination of right on burner under grate. also have amazing tube. its so easy to get good smoke and constant temps. I also use my rotisserie for chickens and also great pork butts smoked and only takes about 5 -6 hours. as big hot metal rod thru the meat. i still use my smoker of course but do more product to share n save. heck next wed, i am bringing pulled pork ill make on grill smoked on rotisserie to the dvorack motors so i can get some free oil changes ect. i have doing this for many yrs. it may take little practice but awsome meats.. heck when i make tenderloins{i buy whole cyro vac ones n cut myself} i smoke em on grill at cooler temps and thaats when smoke does a meat good then can take off hit the grill to 600 put on to med rare. ooohhh my goood

i have the first generation genesis three burner front to back

100 % agree!
I would place two cast iron smoker boxers on top of the front burner turned halfway between medium and low. Smoked briskets, butts, and ribs. Also spun alot turkeys, yardbirds, and hams using that set up.
I miss that old Silver B.

Thank you for the link! Yea that sounds a little small, I'd like to stay under $400 if at all possible

You're welcome.
I thought I should point out the size as that is what made me choose a 40" over a 30".
Well you know what they say, "pay once, cry once".
I am sure you can find a MES 40 that is within range.

The pro series 820

One thing to consider since you already have the Weber gasser, is that you might be duplicating efforts with the PB 820.
Now, if your going to use the PB 820 exclusively for grilling and smoking then for about $100 more you might want to consider the Rec-Tec 340.
Yes, the RT-340 is smaller but packed with more features etc. Granted the PB has a five year warranty vs a two year warranty on the RT, but the Rec-Tecs are built like tanks.

Just food for thought.

i have the first generation genesis three burner front to back instead of side to side. i have no problem with temp control and i use several methods for smoke i put chunks on the bars or put my pan with chips or pellets' or chunks or combination of right on burner under grate. also have amazing tube. its so easy to get good smoke and constant temps. I also use my rotisserie for chickens and also great pork butts smoked and only takes about 5 -6 hours. as big hot metal rod thru the meat. i still use my smoker of course but do more product to share n save. heck next wed, i am bringing pulled pork ill make on grill smoked on rotisserie to the dvorack motors so i can get some free oil changes ect. i have doing this for many yrs. it may take little practice but awsome meats.. heck when i make tenderloins{i buy whole cyro vac ones n cut myself} i smoke em on grill at cooler temps and thaats when smoke does a meat good then can take off hit the grill to 600 put on to med rare. ooohhh my goood
One thing to consider since you already have the Weber gasser, is that you might be duplicating efforts with the PB 820.
Now, if your going to use the PB 820 exclusively for grilling and smoking then for about $100 more you might want to consider the Rec-Tec 340.
Yes, the RT-340 is smaller but packed with more features etc. Granted the PB has a five year warranty vs a two year warranty on the RT, but the Rec-Tecs are built like tanks.

Just food for thought.
I'll definitely take a look at this! Yes though I am looking for something to exclusively smoke with.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky