New to smoking and smoker and having problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

96Romeo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
Hi,
I am new to smoking and my smoker and am running into problems. I have a Masterbuilt Adventures series Propane smoker purchased by my lovely wife from Cabelas. The first time I set it up to season it I noticed that the chips didn't just smoke in the pan but ignited and that caused a spike in temperature. I have since placed a small wood chip box that came with a box of wood chips on top of the woodchip pan and this has seem to solve the problem of the chips catching fire. I still have to refill the box about every thirty minutes (which is annoyting) with new chips because I keep getting a rather pungent smelling smoke after the chips turn black. Should I let the chips go all the way to ash and is the pungent smoke normal? I have noticed a rather sweet smelling smoke for the first 30 minutes and then the eye burning smoke. I am also having trouble with temperature swings and maintaining a consistent temperature. Any suggestions?

Check out A-MAZE-N products. Lots of guys here use them including myself. Seems like this might be a solution for you. Small investment and you wont be disappointed. Long smoke times so no messing with chips. Temps swings will be a learning curve. Every smoker is different. I dont have a propane smoker so someone else that does will have better advice for you.

Reactions: JC in GB
Check out A-MAZE-N products. Lots of guys here use them including myself. Seems like this might be a solution for you. Small investment and you wont be disappointed. Long smoke times so no messing with chips. Temps swings will be a learning curve. Every smoker is different. I dont have a propane smoker so someone else that does will have better advice for you.

Thanks Sowsage. I was reading up on the A-maz-n Smoker pellet tube. It may be the solution to the changing of the chips problem. Does it work well with off brand pellets or is there any you would reccommend?

Does it work well with off brand pellets or is there any you would reccommend?
I have the AMNPS and I have used a few different brands with no differences in how they burn. Currently I'm using pit boss because its easy to find at Wal-Mart. I think the biggest thing is to make sure the pellets are good and dry.

I have the AMNPS and I have used a few different brands with no differences in how they burn. Currently I'm using pit boss because its easy to find at Wal-Mart. I think the biggest thing is to make sure the pellets are good and dry.
Thanks for the tip. If the pellets aren't dry any tip for drying them out? Or should I just trash them?

In my Master Built I use a 10" cast iron fry pan to hold the chips for the reason you stated. The chip pan that came with the smoker is not used at all I put the fry pan right on top where theirs set. I have a small grate under it.

Warren

Last edited:
when I smoked that way I always soaked my chips, obviously helps with the catching fire thing you had going on but also lets them "smoke" longer. Suspect your chips are essentially burning up and out every 30 minutes.

PoppinSmoke
Sorry but you would have to know the smoker he is dealing with. The chip pan in that smoker has holes in it and the flames can actually touch the chips wet or dry and cause them to catch fire. Very poor design on the manufactures part. That is the reason a lot of us use a cast iron fry pan to put the chips in. No flame problem here now that I do that. Thanks for your comments but please when giving information understand all the facts.

Warren

I should actually list mine for sale. I bought it years ago but have never used it once since I just committed to a charcoal smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky