New to ribs, first time doing spare ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

short smoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 16, 2017
York, Pa
Got 2 racks of spare ribs. Trimmed off the excess fat and removed the membrane from the back and seasoned them with a sweet spicy bbq rub both sides and left in refrigerator overnight now going to smoke using the 3-3-1 method I heard works well for spare ribs. Any suggestions I'm about to throw them on.

Attachments

• 15467872103134112813422903236634.jpg
    15467872103134112813422903236634.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 44
Crazy moon, what is a good liquid to put in the foil or spray them with when I wrap them up? Was thinking apple juice or apple cider vinegar. Suggestions please

I'm not sure what CM uses, but I don't spritz my ribs. When I foil I use apple juice, butter and brown sugar.

Chris

Reactions: short smoke
Nope no spritzing. U will just cool down the meat if the spritz isn’t hot. Don’t do anything is my suggestion. spare ribs are super fatty. Put them on the smoker with meat probe In and don’t touch them until there about 195 -198 degrees. You don’t have to do anything. If u got a good piece of meat all it takes is rub, heat and smoke.

My vote, especially the first time would be the 3-2-1 crutch. Some BS and butter on the foil when you wrap and sauce if you like during the last hour. As you get more familiar with the cook you can adjust

When I'm cooking a new cut or using a new technique I like to keep it as simple as possible. That way I know what my "default" results are. It makes further experimentation easier because I can tell what difference I am making (if any).

So I would recommend using the tried and true 3-2-1 method, but adding nothing other than the rub you already have on it. Rest assured, they will turn out delicious. And this will give you a baseline. Next time, you can try spritzing them with something and see if it makes them better or worse. Then you can try adding liquid to the foil. Does it make them better or worse?

This way you will learn what affects your meat in which way, and what works best for your taste and the taste of your family/friends/various other guests. If you do all the steps on your first try, you won't know what does what.

Have fun with it! Let us know how it turns out

SS,They look good,sorry I didn't get back to you on your question but the gang steered you straight !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky