New to forum just ordered a Camp Chef DLX 24 in stainless

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ironbrewer

Original poster
Mar 21, 2021
This is my first smoker of any kind. I'm pretty excited, but have lots of questions. I'm wondering the best first couple of pellets to try with it, short vs long cover(does long trap in moisture in very wet environments. I live in the northwest near the Puget Sound. I don't know if this is sacrilage here but this is a picture of my old school Weber gasser that I rehabbed myself. I love this grill.

1616334129623.png

Welcome, Ironbrewer!

Personally use Bear Mountain pellets. Not long or short. I empty the hopper on my Camp Chef after every smoke and store all unopened pellets in 5-gallon plastic pails with tight fitting lids in my garage. I have never had issues with moisture.

Reactions: ironbrewer
Welcome, Ironbrewer!

Personally use Bear Mountain pellets. Not long or short. I empty the hopper on my Camp Chef after every smoke and store all unopened pellets in 5-gallon plastic pails with tight fitting lids in my garage. I have never had issues with moisture.

So you don't use a cover at all? Is your grill stored under something? I can get Bear Mountain pellets at a nearby tractor supply store for $9.99 for 20 #s. I will probably try a couple flavors of these. Are there any flavors you like best?

I will probably start out with some low and slow pork butt, and babyback ribs.

Hey There ... I have a Camp Chef Woodwind 24" Wi Fi pellet grill, and have used many different pellets. I can highly recommend the Camp Chef Competition Blend, but my favorites are all made by LumberJack. I use their Competition Blend, Supreme Blend & Pecan. However any of the Lumber Jack blends are excellent.
I have a "QuliMetal Grill Cover for Camp Chef Pellet Grills" that I bought from Amazon. I have had this one for over a year and it is doing well. We live in the Blue Ridge Mountain foothills north of Atlanta; and can't address the wet environment question. This cover comes down almost to the patio and I have never had moisture inside it. CampChef makes a cover, but it looked unusual to me.
Good Luck

Welcome to the forum ironbrewer, glad you joined us. Great rehab on the Weber. Please post a pic of your new Camp Chef when you get it, we would love to see it.

You'll love the 24. I have one as well. I would invest in a good stand alone meat thermometer as the probes arent all that accurate. The probes only tolerate external temp to a certain point. Its not all the high either. The instructions will state the temp limit as I cant remember. If you want to sear or grill, the probes wont hold up. Dont get the braided wire wet as it will through the reading way off. Once dried, they do decent enough to get you started.

Welcome to the site! All great folks here, with tons of info.

Beautiful Weber. I tried like heck to find one like that to refurb and couldn't, ended up buying new. Congrats on the pellet grill. Hope you love it too.

I don't know if this is sacrilage here but this is a picture of my old school Weber gasser that I rehabbed myself. I love this grill.
Definitely nothing wrong with owning a gasser. I've got a small two burner Char Broil that complements my smoker very nicely. They are separate tools to use for separate things, and very convenient for time saving vs. charcoal grills for those among us without the luxury of being retired :emoji_laughing:

EDIT: also, nice rehab work, she looks pretty!

Camp Chef guy here, too. I have the DLX and the XXL. Love them both and at some point you're going to find yourself looking at the Sidekick. It comes with the flattop griddle and I have the pizza oven, too. I bought the BBQ box, but it's still brand new and unused because the wife insisted on a big gasser so the Weber sits next to the pellet grill. I really like Lumberjack pellets, too and you can get them from Dick's or better yet, Cabela's pellets are made by Lumberjack, including some blends that are exclusive to Cabela's. They're like $10/bag and free shipping on a $50 order. Camp Chef's pellets are ok, too. I have a few bags of their Competition Blend that I \'ve had good success with.
If you're really worried about the extreme moisture in your area, you probably should consider emptying the hopper and clearing the auger during long periods of inactivity. I will say that I keep mine locked and loaded under a cover year-round in the northeast and I haven't had a problem through snowy winters and wet springs but I'm always worried that one day I'll be cleaning a load of wet sawdust out if it after the weather breaks.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from Mississippi! Where to start......Congrats on the new smoker, the chicken looks excellent, and the rehab is a thing of beauty. No shame on here for using a gasser. As someone else has said, its all part of the tools! Look forward to more post from you.
Jim

Camp Chef guy here, too. I have the DLX and the XXL. Love them both and at some point you're going to find yourself looking at the Sidekick. It comes with the flattop griddle and I have the pizza oven, too. I bought the BBQ box, but it's still brand new and unused because the wife insisted on a big gasser so the Weber sits next to the pellet grill. I really like Lumberjack pellets, too and you can get them from Dick's or better yet, Cabela's pellets are made by Lumberjack, including some blends that are exclusive to Cabela's. They're like $10/bag and free shipping on a $50 order. Camp Chef's pellets are ok, too. I have a few bags of their Competition Blend that I \'ve had good success with.
If you're really worried about the extreme moisture in your area, you probably should consider emptying the hopper and clearing the auger during long periods of inactivity. I will say that I keep mine locked and loaded under a cover year-round in the northeast and I haven't had a problem through snowy winters and wet springs but I'm always worried that one day I'll be cleaning a load of wet sawdust out if it after the weather breaks.

I have already been looking at the sidekick. I just can't spend the money right now. My wife loves the idea of getting the pizza oven. It would be fun to have pizza parties on out patio once covid is done. I really like the idea of a flattop. It would be cool to have.

Welcome! Another Camp Chef DLX owner here. Done about a dozen cooks on it and love it so far. As for pellets, I like Camp Chef and Lumberjack. Favorite smoke would be apple or pecan... I did recently pick up a bag of charwood to try, it’s a blend of charcoal and cherry!

I keep mine in the garage, but going to order a cover.

One thing I’d highly recommend is to line your drip tray with some heavy duty foil, makes cleanup a lot easier!

BTW, that old Weber is awesome!

1618061329763.png

1618061353638.png

1618061380297.png

Smoked a brisket flat and a fatty with italian sausage, marinara, and grilled peppers and onions. It was all delicious.

High ambient humidity shouldn't cause you any issues. I've left pellets in the hopper for a couple of months at a time without any swelling. Just keep your pellet grill out of the rain.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky