New Styles and Color Options (Layouts) for SMF

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I got no problems, other than I can't find the "New Posts" list.

Bear
John, on the home page upper right side above the box with your stats. There are two buttons one for "New Posts" and one for "Post Thread". Above the Post Thread button is a "Add Bookmark" button. At least that's how it's showing on my screen.

Chris

John, on the home page upper right side above the box with your stats. There are two buttons one for "New Posts" and one for "Post Thread". Above the Post Thread button is a "Add Bookmark" button. At least that's how it's showing on my screen.

Chris
That's how mine is too Chris. I haven't had any issues so far.

That's how mine is too Chris. I haven't had any issues so far.

Mine's different, being a Mac.
However I found it, but I have to find a more direct root to it.
Be nice if there was a button to get there in one step, like it used to save a "New Posts" button.
Best way for me----Go to Home---to----Latest Posts----to New Posts.

Bear

Mine's different, being a Mac.
However I found it, but I have to find a more direct root to it.
Be nice if there was a button to get there in one step, like it used to save a "New Posts" button.
Best way for me----Go to Home---to----Latest Posts----to New Posts.

Bear
Bear, what button are you referring to that you had on SMF theme that is not on the new ones?

Bear, what button are you referring to that you had on SMF theme that is not on the new ones?

See below screen shot:
on this black bar at the top of the old page, with other buttons, such as Home, Forums, Chat, etc, etc.
Thanks Jeff!!

Bear
Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 9.45.28 AM.png

See below screen shot:
on this black bar at the top of the old page, with other buttons, such as Home, Forums, Chat, etc, etc.
Thanks Jeff!!

Bear
View attachment 645276
Bear, are you on the 13" MacBook Air? Do you happen to know your resolution?

The new themes are set to show the menu at the top unless the width is below a certain point. It then changes to mobile view which places the menu inside of that 3-line stack all the way to the left.

I have it set to what is recommended but I may be able to adjust it a little if I know your resolution.

Jeff,
Thanks!!
Now I got things on that bar, but not "New Posts" See screen shot below:
Mine is a 13", but I don't know what the Resolution is.

John
Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 11.07.43 AM.png

Click on "what's new", then you will see "new posts", At least that's what I need to do. Been that way for me.

Click on "what's new", then you will see "new posts", At least that's what I need to do. Been that way for me.
I have other ways too, but Jeff is trying to get me a "One-Step" Route. He's very close, but I have confidence in "Him".

Bear

I have other ways too, but Jeff is trying to get me a "One-Step" Route. He's very close, but I have confidence in "Him".

Bear

I'm all about efficiency and turning 2-step things into 1-step things.. it's my background as an industrial engineer I guess🤣

I changed the "What's new" link at the top to go directly to a better version of the New Posts. You guys see what you think and let me know.

Thanks for starting this thread, Jeff.
I wasn't much liking the new format--seemed kinda bland. So I'm real pleased that you included the SMF format choice. I like it a lot more--things just seem to look better.
Just me saying.
Gary
I'm glad you like it, Gary. Trying real hard to keep this forum top notch and the best in its class!

Reactions: GaryHibbert
I'm all about efficiency and turning 2-step things into 1-step things.. it's my background as an industrial engineer I guess🤣

I changed the "What's new" link at the top to go directly to a better version of the New Posts. You guys see what you think and let me know.

Looks Fine to me.
Seems the only difference is I'm clicking on "What's New" instead of "New Posts", but I'm ending up on the "New Posts" page.
Thank You Jeff!!
You really got to stop by more often. Whenever you stop in things improve!

Now I gotta get off awhile---My Eyes are killing me!

Bear

A change that I do like... The alert bell (top right)... It's always there now as to where before you would have to scroll back up to the top of the page to click on it... I believe Jeff is a mind reader as well... As I've always wished it was like that...

OK Mr Jeff !!! TulsaJeff TulsaJeff
I had awhile to test drive this thing, and everything I use works Great. That "What's New" link does the job for me just right. I really do appreciate your fixing that, and other things.
So the only problem I still have is the number of alerts keeps going up & down. It was up to 800, then down to below 200, and right now it's at 344.

Thanks Again!
Bear

OK Mr Jeff !!! TulsaJeff TulsaJeff
I had awhile to test drive this thing, and everything I use works Great. That "What's New" link does the job for me just right. I really do appreciate your fixing that, and other things.
So the only problem I still have is the number of alerts keeps going up & down. It was up to 800, then down to below 200, and right now it's at 344.

Thanks Again!
Bear

John, just guessing here, but are you hitting the Forums home button or your browsers page back arrow when your done reading a post? If your using the arrow then you're not clearing the cache. You can also try refreshing your screen after you've read a few posts.

Chris

Edit: Cache is the wrong word. I meant that by hitting the arrow will bring you back to the original page you started on. So the system doesn't realize you've read the posts.

Last edited:
John, just guessing here, but are you hitting the Forums home button or your browsers page back arrow when your done reading a post? If your using the arrow then you're not clearing the cache. You can also try refreshing your screen after you've read a few posts.

Chris

Edit: Cache is the wrong word. I meant that by hitting the arrow will bring you back to the original page you started on. So the system doesn't realize you've read the posts.

I don't even know what you're talking about.
I'll tell you how I do it. It's probably stupid, but it's worked for me for years;
1st----- I open up the alerts list.
2nd-----I Right click & send the ones I want to look at to "Open in a New Tab", up top.
Then once I got a bunch of them lined up top, I open 1 at a time, check them out, make a comment or not, then "X" that tab out, and go to the next one.
I do this until the top is empty, or my eyes can't take any more.

I hope you can understand the above.

Bear

As an FYI..

The 2 new styles we created have now been fixed and now show wide screen format on desktop if that 's what you want.

Scroll to the bottom of the forum and click on the current style name (SMF, Orange UI.X, Brown UI.X, etc.) to change styles.

Beside the style names you will see arrow icons that will allow you to change the width to wide or standard.

The classic SMF theme is being worked on so most of the issues we've been having for a while should disappear shortly.. fingers crossed for those who prefer that style.

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky