New Stuffer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thecanadian

Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
Hi all, my 10lb gander mountain stuffer died last year doing snack sticks so I am looking to get a decent replacement. I normally do about 6-8 deer a year plus one or two pigs. I would like something that can handle doing a few snack sticks without the gears getting stripped. I have narrowed it down to 4 choices and would like to hear what everyone here recommends. Thanks!

LEM Big Bite 10lb Dual Gear Stuffer
Pro: Metal Gears, 5 yr warranty, Says it can handle Snack sticks
Cons: Looks like there would be a ton of meat left in the bottom, Price is getting up there

Tre Spade 10lb Horizontal Stuffer
Pro: Italian made, color, looks solid
Con: Price is on the upper end, not many on line reviews

Hakka 11lb Stuffer
Pro: Cost, lots of positive reviews
Con: Not sure of long term durability

ALFA 10Lb Stuffer
Pro: looks like the bottom elbow is not overly large, price
Con: Not many on line reviews

Don't have experience with the above but have 2 others I can comment on. 15 lb. Vivo. Works like a charm on links and larger stuff but a brut for snack sticks. Takes some muscle! Also leaves a good amount in the elbow. 5 lb. From cabelas . Works much easier on the small stuff and leaves much less in the horn. Both have metal gears.

My suggestion first, if you are going to do stix buy a 5 lber. That way you will not over stress a big unit, then buy your big unit too or next year.

I personally like my LEM's and from what I have seen they have modified the top unit and totally enclosed it. That keeps any chance of grease or filings getting into the meats.

Around Thanksgiving and after Christmas will have their large sale, I bought mine a few years back, get 20 off and free freight, so its worth waiting for the sale.

BTW I bought LEM because I thought it would be easiest to get parts and service. They haven't let me down yet.

I have used just bout all of them.

My new LEM still beats em up. I have one with the metal gears that are enclosed.

Last edited:
I've got a Hakka horizontal and it's very well built. I'm not sure if it's true, but I've heard horizontal's are better than vertical for snack sticks because you're not pushing through a right angle - I don't make snack sticks so have no first hand experience with that. There are pros and cons for horizontal vs vertical stuffers.

I love my Tre Spade stuffers. I have two of them, a 15# and a 6#, both are horizontal. The 15# is a bit awkward
to use because it takes two people to run it, but the 6# is a pleasure to use. I got them both off eBay, they do
come around once in a while, for around $100 each. They are well built and should last a lifetime.

Cal
P.S. There is a used one on eBay right now for $100 + $33 shipping , comes from
United Kingdom. Search for Tre Spade stuffer used.

Last edited:
My suggestion first, if you are going to do stix buy a 5 lber.

Got to really agree on this. A 5# just needs to be filled up more, but has better pressure for doing sticks than a10# one or larger. I have read stories about people breaking the 10# units on sticks. To be honest, I think it takes a lot of pressure cranking on the 5# unit alone. My counter overhang on my island flexs when I crack the stuffer on snack sticks.

I have had the old lem (exposed gears) and the new lem enclosed gears,,, NEW ONE WIPES THEM OUT,,, SO IMPRESSED WITH THE 5LB WENT AND BOUGHT THE 15 WITH ENCLOSED,,, DANG NICE MACHINES.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky