New Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokindogz

Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Hi eveyone! 

I live in Eastern Iowa near Iowa City and I am excited to start my smoking adventures! I have a Char Broil propane smoker. I have done pork loin, and pork butt. I have also took a shot a cheese, which worked pretty well with a gas smoker.  As of tonight I am preparing to smoke a bone in shoulder and a chicken for a family get together. I have both meats brining right now and have a favorite rub ready to go. I was wondering if any one has any tips or suggestions on timing. I have a 7.5lbs butt and 4lbs chicken. I plan on using apple and hickory to smoke both meats. 

Welcome to SMF!

At 225 your butt may take about 14 hours or so & the chicken just 2 or 3 hours.

Al

My smoker likes to run at 250-275*. I have done a butt that size in 6 hours with no stall, but I would allow 8-10 to be safe. Chickens will be a couple of hours, depending on where you can place them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky