New smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeysparks

Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Hey everybody! New smoker here. I'm from the mountains of southwest Virginia.

Although I've always loved the taste of smoked foods, I never got 'em much! Then I met my girlfriend -- who lived in Alabama before moving up here with me -- and her family. They... spoiled my tastebuds greatly. Brisket, pork shoulder, bacon wrapped/cheese stuffed jalapeno peppers, potatoes, etc. etc. They turned me into a lover of smoked meats, but at the time I didn't have a smoker.

Well, this last weekend they came up here for a visit, and for Christmas they decided to be amazing and gave me their old vertical Brinkmann smoker! This past weekend, we (more like they) smoked everything under the sun from a ham to a chuck roast to deer, trout, more of the said bacon wrapped jalapenos, sweet potatoes and some Italian sausage in sweet peppers.

I had my first smoke session (by myself with no direct instruction) and knocked it out of the park with a pork shoulder, chicken legs and potatoes! Everybody I fed loved it all!

From what I've read in regards to what a lot of people do, my girlfriend's family does things differently in a few ways (I'll write about that later), but her father was right when he said that everybody has their own ways and methods.

I just bought another pork shoulder the other night. About 9 and a half pounds marked down to $16.21! Original price was $27-something.

As for me, I'm 25-years-old. I went back to school a couple of years ago and have stayed in that lane. I plan on living in Tennessee, outside of Knoxville, one day. I enjoy cooking in general, sports (MMA, boxing, football and basketball), being active in any way, reading, movies/documentaries, loads of caffeine and just about any run of the mill crap you can think of.

Welcome to SMF and the addiction!  
yahoo.gif
Good to have you here.

Mike

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum from a sunny and warm day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of          great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky