New Smoker & Lazy Days?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Holy smokes...literally.. What an amazing cooker and first-rate cook. That rig is a full rolling kitchen. One heck of a block party, that's for sure. Excellent work all around, great looking food, and congrats on a much deserved carousel ride my friend.
Time to sign off from Saloon # 10!
I'm there!! Checking out the waitresses. Man, what a nice bunch of ladies. Very appealing to behold :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Jed that is an awesome smoker and some outstanding cooks. I think the family and neighbors approve I know I would eating all that good stuff

Reactions: bauchjw
I’ve heard the phrase “Lazy Days of Summer” my whole life, but the government must keep those days, summer has always been busy for me. This one isn’t any different and it has been hectic here, but I’ve been absent from SMF for too long again and I’m sad to have missed so many great cooks!

With @TNJAKE endorsement of BelFab smokers and encouragement from more than a few here I have purchased a new offset, I went trailer mounted, and picked it up in Iowa over the 4th of July. I was only an hour or so away from Ryan, but unfortunately couldn’t make the detour with three screaming kinds and a frustrated wife in the truck with me, sorry @Brokenhandle Ill make it next time!

So here’s the Beast, I went with a warmer box option, two burners and a flattop. It’s not a Blackstone, but it’s been working for me!

View attachment 639346View attachment 639347View attachment 639348

View attachment 639349

This was my first run at it in the rain. Over the 4th I did a whole bunch of food, all with oak. Lost track of the cooks and time for pics, but found these of ABTs, steaks &ribs. The steel is legit, 3/8ths and it kept temp with no problem in the rain.View attachment 639350
View attachment 639351View attachment 639352View attachment 639353
Took some time to blow stuff up too..,
View attachment 639354

Towed the rig over two days back to Virginia, Chicago was interesting navigating with a smoker in tow, but lots of conversations a long the way with curious pit stop neighbors. After that journey I’ve been going at it almost every weekend. The kids and neighbors love it. I had a hard time finding some wood here, but finally got that figured out.

My daughters request for NY strip for her BDay diner getting a CI sear after smoking to 120 IT at 240…. tx smoker tx smoker method. Those burners the CI is sitting on are so much fun!
View attachment 639355
Some Birria for a neighborhood BBQ, on this attempt I went without purée of chili and with soup bones for marrow.
View attachment 639356
My son helping clean the firebox
View attachment 639357
More Birria for another get together. I didnt like the last batch so scrapped and started over. Reduced in ingredients and cut chuck in bigger chunks. Smoked to 165 IT at around 250, then into the chili braise, covered, until pull apart tender, roughly 5 hours. They’re popular and this batch was awesome!

Nothing like a cup of coffee and a fire at 2 am to get things going!View attachment 639359
15 pounds of Chuck roll pre trimmed for the Birria.
View attachment 639361
View attachment 639358

My daughter making me some breakfast on the flattop, she wanted to help all night, but couldn’t stay awake!
View attachment 639360

At 165 IT pulled and into the Braise, puréed pasillas, guallijo and ancho peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, S&P, apple cider vinegar, and a lot of water with some better than bullion.
Toasted the dry peppers on the flattop before the reconstituting and purée View attachment 639365
View attachment 639362
View attachment 639364
Once everyone was over and beef was pulling, chopped up to do the tacos! We did ribs and Surf and turf lumpia too.
View attachment 639367View attachment 639368View attachment 639369View attachment 639366
View attachment 639371View attachment 639372View attachment 639384
Anyway, sorry for my absence. Back to support @WaterinHoleBrew and all the great people who post here and share good vibes. As long as work and family give me the time🤣
What a great Post ! I really like the pit and an awesome job on everything. !

Beautiful looking smoker and great looking food! Enjoy yourself with your new toy!!
Thank you! We definitely are enjoying ourselves!
The food pics are outstanding Jed! Love the assistance you get from your kids as well! Congrats on your spinner ride!
Time to sign off from Saloon # 10! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Thank you Ryan! Gotta get the kids to help while they still think it’s fun! I gotta say I’m jealous! Saloon #10 has to be a great time!
Great Rig Jed! Like said above, all of that food looks awesome, and you've got it dialed in. Great work all around. Congrats on the carousel ride.
Thank you! Always an honor to catch the ride, not the prettiest QView🤣 I’m starting to get it dialed in, some hit and miss at the beginning! Jakes been a big help! I appreciate your time!
Nice chuckwagon rig there Jed. pulling it around the country and cooking up a storm.🤠🤠

Great rig and great pictures of all the foods, and the littles helping with the cooking and cleaning.

You must be a happy man:emoji_sunglasses:

David,

oh and congrats on the ride on the spinner:emoji_cloud_tornado:
Thank you David! Definitely trying to cook up a storm, I need the practice after so many years with pellet poopers🤣 It’s been a fun stress relief🤪 I always am honored with a ride and appreciate your time!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Great looking rig and some awesome cooks. Looks like your doing a great job of feeding the neighborhood! Got any houses for sell close?
Jim
I appreciate it Jim! The neighborhood has been having as much fun as I have, plus their helping to fund the meat and beer so I can’t complain🤣 There are a few for sale nearby, great neighborhood, it’d be awesome to have you!
That’s a heck of a nice rig Jed, great post too! All the food looks great and it looks like everyone enjoyed it. I gotta do birria again, nicely done!!
Thank you Ray! I’m super excited to have it the rig at a Good price too! This has been a retirement gift to myself, well first retirement. I finally dialed in the Birria to where I like it, took me a few attempts, went at it almost like a Texas style chili this time, but man is it rich!!!

I appreciate your time and compliments!
Holy Cow! That is what I want to do when I grow up!
🤣🤣🤣 I think my wife thinks the opposite🤣 When am I going to grow up! Thank you!
Awesome looking smoker Jed. Let me know if I can help you spend more money! Food looks amazing and looks like you are the most popular guy on the block right now. Now you can't stop feeding them or they'll riot!
Thank you Jake! I appreciate the guidance and help getting me here and in the fine tuning! Craig is an awesome guy and I wouldn’t have found him without you!

It’s funny how getting that rig fired up brings people by I’ve never met before🤣 they’re bringing beer though and I’ve been surprised at the “donations” rolling in! But, I’ve always had to bribe my friends, so this isn’t new!!!

You are in the big leagues now Jed. Congrats on the cooker, looks like you did not take long to dial that thing in.

Awesome awesome awesome rig and grub..Congrats!!
Thank you! It’s like Christmas when I was 8…..but I’m paying for it🤣 So much fun, would’ve never took the leap without coming to SMF!
Great looking rig you got there man. Looks like some good eats as well! Congrats on all of it. Well done.
Thank you very much! I appreciate your time and compliments! I’m very excited every time I get to fire her up!
A thing of beauty all around, congratulations!
Thank you! I really appreciate it, I’ve been wanting a big one for years and it feels great to finally pull the trigger!
Not much to say here other than WOW!
Al
I appreciate it Al! You’re definitely one of my inspirations and influencers to spend $! I appreciate your time and compliment!

Holy smokes...literally.. What an amazing cooker and first-rate cook. That rig is a full rolling kitchen. One heck of a block party, that's for sure. Excellent work all around, great looking food, and congrats on a much deserved carousel ride my friend.
Robert
Thank you Robert! Always an honor to catch a ride! It is pretty much a kitchen on wheels, just need that sink! It’s been fun having everyone coming by, kids love it and I get “free” beer! No pool though, someday! I appreciate your time!
Awesome looking rig and all out cooks.

Warren
Thank you Warren, I appreciate your time!
What a nice rig! That looked like a heckuva lot of work though!
Thank you Eddie! 🤣 It is a lot of work, but it’s the fun kind! Any excuse to play with fire, drink coffee, then beer, and BS with friends I’ll take! It’s an added bonus that the kids enjoy it too!
Jed that is an awesome smoker and some outstanding cooks. I think the family and neighbors approve I know I would eating all that good stuff
Thank you Sir! We’ve been having a great time with her and I’m pretty sure everyone has given me the thumbs up so far! Neighbors I’ve never talked to before are swinging by when the smoke starts drifting through the neighborhood🤣

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks like some good times and great cooks, nice rig! RAY
Thank you Ray! So far it’s all been a blast! I’m loving the new rig and the rituals that go with it! I appreciate your time and compliments!
What a great Post ! I really like the pit and an awesome job on everything. !
Thank you! It’s an honor and a whole lot of fun!
You are in the big leagues now Jed. Congrats on the cooker, looks like you did not take long to dial that thing in.
Thank you Cliff! I’m still AAA playing with big league gear🤣 it’s so fun though! Still working a few things out, but it’s been edible and the response is positive!
Very nice cooker set up!!!

Oh and what an epic cook! Very nice you nailed that!
Thank you Civil! I appreciate it! The beer helps!

Congratulations on the new rig Jed, and thanks for sharing the awesome cooks. Truly epic post very deserving of a carousel ride. Again, congrats.

Ho lee smokes. You just made me hungry and i just had dinner. I haven't had Birria since my mom passed away almost 2 years ago, and I've never had it smoked. Totally gonna have to try that. Looks Dank AF.
You ever make Cochinita Pibil in the smoker? That's something I've been wanting to do for a while just haven't had the right occasion for it.
Great looking cook , congrats on the carousel ride.

Damn nice rig you got there!!!
Thank you! We’re excited and having fun!
Nice Gump reference, btw!
Great catch! I was wondering if anyone picked up on that
Those were my first words....

Congrats Jed, That was one hella time and cook. The smoker is the 'MacDaddy' for sure!!! Many good times to come indeed.
Thanks for sharing, it looked like way too much fun.
Thank you! I’ve been wanting one for so long, it’s hard to believe I finally pulled the trigger. It’s been a great time! Looking forward to many years more…and hearing the kids argue over whose getting it!
Congratulations on the new rig Jed, and thanks for sharing the awesome cooks. Truly epic post very deserving of a carousel ride. Again, congrats.
Thank you! I’m always honored with a ride! I appreciate your time and compliments!
Ho lee smokes. You just made me hungry and i just had dinner. I haven't had Birria since my mom passed away almost 2 years ago, and I've never had it smoked. Totally gonna have to try that. Looks Dank AF.
You ever make Cochinita Pibil in the smoker? That's something I've been wanting to do for a while just haven't had the right occasion for it.
Great looking cook , congrats on the carousel ride.
Thank you! This is my 3rd go at the smoked Birria (two on the same thread) and the second set of pics was by far my favorite. Smoking the meat to 165 then braiding was definitely the way to go!

I have done the Pibil, but when I do it again I’ll follow the smoke to 165 method.

chilerelleno chilerelleno also has a great recipe for pibil if you use his handle with pibil search.

Good luck, post pics!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky