New Smoker - First Smoke - Bone in Butt

Discussion in 'Pork' started by ososmokeshack, Aug 13, 2017.

1. ososmokeshack

ososmokeshack Smoke Blower

So I bought this little Char Grill side fire box about a month ago and have been using it as just a regular grill. Made quite a few things on it.

The grill

Tri-tip

Some marinated chicken

Beef ribs (turned out okay flavor wise but I was in a rush and they didn't cook long enough)

Made some pizzas

And some fresh wings

Well yesterday I picked up the rest of it and installed the side fire box for the complete smoker.

So today I decided to smoke a bone in butt. In my opinion it's one of the most forgiving meats so it'll be good to learn temps, times and the like on a new smoker.

2. ososmokeshack

Also picked up an iGrill mini yesterday to try out. Seems pretty easy and cool to use.

Threw some rub on the butt yesterday. And in it went at 6:40 this morning. It's about 11.5 pounds.

3. griz400

griz400 Master of the Pit

I have the same charcoal grill .. no side box, I keep right next to my smoker 

good luck on your smoke today

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  4. ososmokeshack

I am undecided on what smoker I actually want. Can't decide if I should build a dedicated rig, buy a pellet, buy a wood or something else. Partly why I got this to hold me over until I decide.

5. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Wow. all I can say is if your turning out Q like that with just a firebox, I can't wait to see what you can do with a whole smoker!

Very nicely done Q!

Al

6. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Master of the Pit Group Lead

:welcome1:

Nice chow!
    Hope you do more cooks and send in the pics from time to time.

7. ososmokeshack

Thanks! We shall see what comes out of it tonight.

8. ososmokeshack

Thanks! I plan on putting in more pics, been in a small place the last two years after moving with no place to BBQ at home, finally got a bigger place.

9. ososmokeshack

Almost 5 hours in.

10. ososmokeshack

Wrapped it in foil at 155* right about 6.5 hours in. Have been going back and forth all morning about wrapping or not and decided to wrap. Next one maybe I'll leave open.

11. pit 4 brains

pit 4 brains Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I had a Chargriller for years! It's a decent smoker and there is a ton of modifications you can do with it. I actually did very well in a brisket competition using pecan splits. I might go as far to say that it is probably the best offset to learn with for the price. Even if you don't  use the side box any more, that rig will hold an after market spit and you can do some nice rotisserie. I liked the multi-sectioned cast iron grates the most. They made it really easy to add fuel when I was smoking without a side box..

12. ososmokeshack

To be perfectly honest I bought the side fire box because it was on sale on Amazon for like $49 and I had about $25 in gift cards left over and I wanted a cheap grill to hold me over. When I got the package in the mail I was amazed at how heavy duty the thing was and the fact that I paid like $15 for it. After that I knew I had to have the whole thing but traveling for work killed my plan to buy it and set it up. I'm pretty impressed with this thing and in it for under $150.

13. ososmokeshack

Not too bad for the first smoke. Needed a little more time but juicy and the rub was good too! Whipped up some vinegar based sauce to drizzle over it, some mac and cheese and a little slaw.

pit 4 brains and griz400 like this.
  14. pit 4 brains

pit 4 brains Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good from here! Point to ya

Search in the build section for some tuning plates that can dial that smoker in. 

15. griz400

griz400 Master of the Pit

Came out very nice, [​IMG]The rotisserie i just bought fits that grill like a glove 

16. ososmokeshack

Will do! Thanks for the tip. Was thinking all day at work about searching for some mods for it.

17. sauced

sauced Master of the Pit

Great looking pp!!