New regulator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
B3812734-D412-4E55-92FA-2ADB62D90522.jpeg
Picked this up today at a Amish propane store. Seemed like good price plus built in needle valve. Hope this fixes my low temp problem. Resetting regulator didn’t work.

That looks like one that I bought. Not a really precise adjustment for temp control. I think that it's designed to be either off or on. Yours may perform better than mine did.

Maybe mine is defective. It will adjust but is very touchy and not precise. The models with the adjustable red knobs work very well.

Thanks dave. I realized my poor choice after more reading. This high & low pressure regulator got me feeling dumber than a box of rocks. Some low pressures go to 100,000 maybe down to 40,000 btu. They have 0-5 psi. Then u have ur WC ( water column / inch). I need 1 around 15000 btu. So after a whole lot of searching and reading the best info I came across was a low pressure regulator at 6 oz of psi with 1/4” ID outlet with black 1/4” ID hose. Or go 3/8” on both with gray hose for a little more gas output but still be real low pressure hose. Is this what I need. Even replacement regulator at HD or lowes for grills seem to be to much btu.

i had planned to buy that exact one, but with attached hose. it's strange that so many say it works for them and their propane smoker, and i always wondered why the product description said "not for use with gas grills." i guess i now know.

I don’t understand how everyone is using these high pressure regulators with success. Why not just keep the original regulator and place a needle valve in-line of the hose?

for me, it was because there were so many posts recommending that set up as an easy fix. as a noob, i rely on recommendations.

but after some research, it became clear that it wasn't ideal because it uses a high pressure regulator with a low pressure burner. i think people need to stop recommending that set up.

Maybe the delta is that the applications are different. My regulator/needle valve setup was used with a turkey fryer burner in the firebox of a big offset smoker. I needed to be able to regulate the temp with the valve. Not high pressure.

I also have a propane camp stove type rig with the big banjo burners. It moves a lot more propane and needs a different regulator.

Posting the application will get better recommendations.

Mine is a brass cast burner in a 10 yr old smoke hollow. Everything thing was fine about month ago. Now can’t get over 225. Then when cold stuff is put in temp crashes to 190 & takes forever to get back up. It doesn’t have that roaring sound anymore on high. Reset regulator, put a different bottle on. No difference. Thought I’d try new regulator since it is 10 yrs old. So was getting propane bottles filled last week when I saw a shelf with regulators on. So I got what I thought would work. Got home did some reading an realize bad choice. Did more reading to realize I don’t have clue as to what one to buy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky