New MES Bluetooth Digital smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, I'm sorry to say that my Sam's version of the MES 40 BT has a defective controller like others have posted.  I started it up this morning and set it to 225F for 20 hours and have watched it climb to over 300F so far at startup.  So, I pushed on the "Set temp" button on the front panel and it says 876F.

I guess I'll call MB today and see what they say but how disappointing.

I feel like letting it go to see how high the smoker will get and if there is any kind of fail safe temp where it will shut down on it's own but afraid of fire so probably won't.  I'll let it go to about 350F before I pull the plug.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

I want to call this thing a POS but I also want to like it.  Dang man, is there anything good coming out of China these days?
Unplug it. Make sure the app is closed and plug it back in. Operate the smoker with the controller and see if you still have the problem. It maybe the app I believe I heard others with this problem try.
-Kurt

I'm working with MB support now verifying the front controller panel works (with the app closed) then we will troubleshoot the BT functionality.  Personally, I think it's the BT module (and/or app) and if it looses BT connection, the controller may "lose" it's mind and go into some default high temp mode.  This happened yesterday when I left the range of the smoker with my phone so when I got back and noticed it was over 300F, I reset the temp/time from the BT app and it went back to normal.

I agree that if the controller works fine from the front panel, I'll see if I can get them to send me an RF module and controller.

I'm working with MB support now verifying the front controller panel works (with the app closed) then we will troubleshoot the BT functionality.  Personally, I think it's the BT module (and/or app) and if it looses BT connection, the controller may "lose" it's mind and go into some default high temp mode.  This happened yesterday when I left the range of the smoker with my phone so when I got back and noticed it was over 300F, I reset the temp/time from the BT app and it went back to normal.

I agree that if the controller works fine from the front panel, I'll see if I can get them to send me an RF module and controller.
That sounds about right from what others that had a controller read 800+*F.
-Kurt

It's confirmed, the Bluetooth controller and/or Android app is at fault.  The problem only happens when I am in a spotty area of the house or my property and the bluetooth connection drops/reconnects frequently.  Masterbuilt is sending me a new RF controller and remote when they are back in stock next month.

When the app is shutdown (not running in the background) and using just the front control panel, the smoker appears to be rock solid and keeps a steady temp.

I never got the extended warranty from Sams.  I'm gonna call them and see if there is a grace period to buy it.  I bought the MES this past Saturday.  After the problems that I've seen, I think $30 would be a good investment for a 3 year warranty.

A side note, I got my 5x8 amazen smoker yesterday with the propane head option from Todd and wouldn't you know, there is not one propane tank in my shop that has any gas in it... DOH!  Time to head to Home Depot... again!

Last edited:
I have smoked ribs, a boston butt and today I'm just finishing up a brisket.  In between smokes I've been trying the different pellets flavors I got from amazin like hickory, mesquite and apple just to practice using the AMNPS5x8.  I am not having any trouble getting the pellets in the AMNPS5x8 started but all of them will go out after a few hours.  The hickory did the best and burned 1 1/2 of the rows before it went out.  The apple, about 1/2 row and the mesquite almost a full row before the embers died.

I've read the instructions as well as all of the posts on this thread and a few other threads on the AMNPS5x8 but what is my problem, lack of oxygen, no draft, wrong location?

This thread shows folks that don't need to pull the chip loading tray out to keep the little pellet smoker burning but others have had to.  So I tried it this morning by pulling it out about 1/2" and while it's still smoking after a few hours but I've been here before.  Maybe it will burn to the end this time but I now understand the frustration of others here figuring it out.

I have it elevated on 1/2 brick on the left side of the drip pan since I don't have any wire racks to elevate it.  Also, all of my bags of pellets have been in a air conditioned, low humility storage.  Any suggestions based on my specific symptoms?

I have smoked ribs, a boston butt and today I'm just finishing up a brisket.  In between smokes I've been trying the different pellets flavors I got from amazin like hickory, mesquite and apple just to practice using the AMNPS5x8.  I am not having any trouble getting the pellets in the AMNPS5x8 started but all of them will go out after a few hours.  The hickory did the best and burned 1 1/2 of the rows before it went out.  The apple, about 1/2 row and the mesquite almost a full row before the embers died.

I've read the instructions as well as all of the posts on this thread and a few other threads on the AMNPS5x8 but what is my problem, lack of oxygen, no draft, wrong location?

This thread shows folks that don't need to pull the chip loading tray out to keep the little pellet smoker burning but others have had to.  So I tried it this morning by pulling it out about 1/2" and while it's still smoking after a few hours but I've been here before.  Maybe it will burn to the end this time but I now understand the frustration of others here figuring it out.

I have it elevated on 1/2 brick on the left side of the drip pan since I don't have any wire racks to elevate it.  Also, all of my bags of pellets have been in a air conditioned, low humility storage.  Any suggestions based on my specific symptoms?
Since you have the new #2.5 MES, try the way I do it:

Put your bottom smoker rack in.

Put your AMNPS on the right end of that bottom rack.

Pull your Chip dumper out about 2" to 3".

If your AMNPS gets smoking too heavy, push the Chip Dumper in.

Bear

Reactions: arkansas smoker
Yup---Looks Plenty good from the Bear Den!!
drool.gif

It'll just keep getting better too!
icon14.gif

My Best to you!!

Bear

Reactions: arkansas smoker
So Bear...you put your AMNPS on the "right side" now? I have always put it on the "left "side, thinking it would be under the vent and thus provide the best air flow?
Dennis
Hi Dennis!!
I tried the right side & it worked better on my #2.5.

That's right above the Chip Dumper intake.

And the smoke got too thick for my standards a couple times, so I pushed the Dumper in, and it simmered down nicely for me.

Then when the smoke gets a little too light, I pull it out a couple inches & that wakes it up again.

Bear

I never have any problems with mine on the bottom of the smoker under the water pan with the lit end towards the rear and next to the heat element. Chip tray removed, chip loader pulled out a few inches in the dump position.

I never have any problems with mine on the bottom of the smoker under the water pan with the lit end towards the rear and next to the heat element. Chip tray removed, chip loader pulled out a few inches in the dump position.

That's something I haven't tried - removing the chip tray. Sounds like a good thing to try. Also, putting the lit end at the rear of the smoker. Two good recommends. Experimenting is always a good thing to find out what works and what does not.
Dennis

I've not pulled my chip tray out either.  This is good stuff guys.  I'm glad I asked as it kind of revived this oversized thread :)

BTW, once I pulled out the chip loader an inch or so, my AMNPS burned to the end today.  Oxygen was my problem!  I never dreamed this smoker was so tight around that chip loader.

I did notice that the temperature swing around the chamber set point is greater when the chip loader is pulled out a little.  The 1200W element has no trouble keeping up and it all averages out during the smoke but there is a lot more air movement.  I would think that is a good thing in that the smoke in the chamber is always fresh and never gets stale.

Hi Dennis!!
I tried the right side & it worked better on my #2.5.

That's right above the Chip Dumper intake.

And the smoke got too thick for my standards a couple times, so I pushed the Dumper in, and it simmered down nicely for me.

Then when the smoke gets a little too light, I pull it out a couple inches & that wakes it up again.

Bear
BTW:   Another good thing about putting it where I said above is you can see it real good there through the looking glass.  That's nice!! 
icon14.gif

Bear

I had the same problem keeping the Maze lit as many of you do, so I purchased the "Smoke Ring" ( formerly called Vortex ) from Smoke Daddy and have never had a problem keeping it lit from day one plus it only takes a few minutes to get it lit and stay smoking and not 15-20 minutes like it does the Maze.  You can leave it on the bottom of the MES, left hand side 1 1/2 to 2 inches off the floor of the MES and it will stay lit without fail and puts out perfect smoke, trust me. Here is a link for it ...

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/products/cold-smokers/vortex-cold-smoker.html

I have now found a use for my Maze though as I put wood chips in is and lay it on top of the coals of my Weber charcoal Grill on short smokes and it works great there, so the Maze hasn't gone to waste as it works better there than it does in the MES.

Last edited:
I had the same problem keeping the Maze lit as many of you do, so I purchased the "Smoke Ring" ( formerly called Vortex ) from Smoke Daddy and have never had a problem keeping it lit from day one plus it only takes a few minutes to get it lit and stay smoking and not 15-20 minutes like it does the Maze.  You can leave it on the bottom of the MES, left hand side 1 1/2 to 2 inches off the floor of the MES and it will stay lit without fail and puts out perfect smoke, trust me. Here is a link for it ...

I have now found a use for my Maze though as I put wood chips in is and lay it on top of the coals of my Weber charcoal Grill on short smokes and it works great there, so the Maze hasn't gone to waste as it works better there than it does in the MES.

Hey Jim,
That smoke ring looks pretty cool - assuming it works as well as the video. I assume you are referring to the AMNPS as the "Maze".
Dennis

I have a question about that smoke ring. The ad says it is designed for cold smoking of 250 degrees and less. So what about temps >250?
Dennis, it works at any temperature. I have used it at 270* with success and no problems.
I have been having the same issues with my ANMPS, I never thought of the right side next time I'll try that, thanks Bear,
Randy,
Try the right side as Bear suggests and if it still doesn't work for you, then get the Smoke Ring ( formerly called Vortex ) as I guarantee it will work for you from any place you put it in your smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky