New MES Bluetooth Digital smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dennis, it works at any temperature. I have used it at 270* with success and no problems.

Try the right side as Bear suggests and if it still doesn't work for you, then get the Smoke Ring ( formerly called Vortex ) as I guarantee it will work for you from any place you put it in your smoker.

http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/products/cold-smokers/vortex-cold-smoker.html
Or get an oversized sink strainer, like I use to keep bugs out of my MES top vent.

Probably cost about $5.

Bear

I'm wondering if you just used the vortex pellets in the amps if it'd stay lit better for those with problems. I mean the pellets they sell for it are 30% charcoal, no wonder it stays lit.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if you just used the vortex pellets in the amps if it'd stay lit better for those with problems. I mean the pellets they sell for it are 30% charcoal, no wonder it stays lit.
I don't know about Smoke Daddy pellets in the AMPS, but I will do some testing and see. I will fry putting some Smoke Daddy pellets in the AMPS and I will try putting some of Todds pellets in the Smoke Ring and see what happens.

Last edited:

Or get an oversized sink strainer, like I use to keep bugs out of my MES top vent.

Probably cost about $5.

Bear
Without making some modifications and alternations, it is doubtful a sink strainer will work, if it would work at all ... just saying.

The Smoke Ring is designed to burn 2 hrs, 4 hrs, 6 hrs, 10-12 hrs,  depending on where  and which side you place the pellets. A sink strainer doesn't offer those options.

Without making some modifications and alternations, it is doubtful a sink strainer will work, if it would work at all ... just saying.

The Smoke Ring is designed to burn 2 hrs, 4 hrs, 6 hrs, 10-12 hrs,  depending on where  and which side you place the pellets. A sink strainer doesn't offer those options.
All you need is a bigger strainer with the right shape.

Then press the middle in, and flip it over.

This small one was only about $2.

Bear

1607s6a.jpg

All you need is a bigger strainer with the right shape.

Then press the middle in, and flip it over.

This small one was only about $2.

Bear
If you can push the middle in, then that strainer is not the same quality of steel that the Smoke Ring is. The strainer being that light will burn up in no time. 

Oh, Inget it now. I haven't had a bug issue here yet in So. Calif. At least getting into my smoker. I keep mine covered and in a shed when not smoking. I haven't been on the forum much lately so I missed that topic of discussion.
Dennis
I have never had a problem of a bug getting into my smoker, or even close to it. I store mine on the patio with a cover on it and the vent closed.

With Bear living around all of those trees, he may have a bug problem, I don't know. I have some trees where I live, but not heavy forested as the area where Bear lives.

I am going to write a report later this evening or tomorrow of my first test of testing the AMPS vs the Smoke Ring using the same pellets from both companies in each at the same time.

Last edited:

I ran a test today on the AMPS vs the Smoke Daddy Smoke Ring

I also ran a test of the pellets from A-MAZE-N Products vs the pellets from Smoke Daddy.

I used Oak Pellets from both companies. I ran the tests outside of the MES all at the same time so that all tests would be under the same exact conditions.

AMPS .... I put A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets in one outside row of the AMPS and Smoke Daddy Pellets in the other outside row of the AMPS.

1. The  A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets took approx 15 min to bring them to that "red rose" color in order to smoke.

2. The Smoke Daddy Oak Pellets lit in half that time and produced a bit more smoke than the A-MAZE-N Products

Oak Pellets

3. The A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets started losing the amount of smoke they were producing within 25 to 30

minutes and died producing no more smoke at 45 minutes.

4. The Smoke Daddy Oak Pellets produced a bit more smoke than the A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets and lasted

one hr and 15 minutes before dying out when it got to the end of the pellets where few were left..

Smoke Ring .....  I put A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets in one side of the Smoke Ring and Smoke Daddy Pellets on the other side across from the A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets.

1. The  A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets lit in approx 12 min or a wee bit faster than they did in the AMPS

2. Again, the Smoke Daddy Oak Pellets lit in approx half that time and produced a bit more smoke than the

The  A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets.

3. The  A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets stayed lit, but as time passed their smoke became weaker and weaker

4. The Smoke Daddy Pellets stayed lit and produced consistent smoke the whole 2 hrs I tested both products.

For those of you that have the AMPS and with problems keeping it lit but want to keep using the AMPS, I would suggest you put it on the bottom shelf. right side over the chip tray as Bear does and of which appears to work for him.

After doing that, if you are not happy with the results, I would suggest you try the Smoke Daddy Pellets as my tests did show they burn better in the AMPS and better yet in the Smoke Daddy Smoke Ring

Last edited:
Bear, I don't get it. Is the strainer you use over the top vent for some reason - to control the smoke?
Dennis
We had a really bad couple years of Stink Bugs around PA. They aren't as bad lately, but any kind of bug can walk in the top vent while Cold Smoking. I don't like bugs in my smokers.

Here's a Thread that tells about it, and the first pic in this thread shows how the Stink bugs even went under my cover & climbed up. They seem to like the control box the most. I don't know why--It wasn't plugged in at that time, so it wasn't the heat that drew them:

Check it out:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/99108/bugs-the-mes

Bear

3. The A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets started losing the amount of smoke they were producing within 25 to 30
I had the same problem when I first started using the AMNPS and found that my MES 40 is sealed well enough with the chip loader closed that there was not enough oxygen to keep the AMNPS burning.  I just have to pull the chip loader out 1/2" to make the AMNPS burn to the end.

Also, with a propane torch, I can light the AMNPS and get it burning well in less than 2 minutes.  It only takes about 60 seconds with the torch to get the starter end cherry red and the pellets on fire and flaming up.  Then I blow it out and make sure it's burning good (cigar looking cherry on the underside as Bear puts it) and then put it in the smoker.  With the chip loader pulled out a little, my AMNPS burns to the end using hickory or apple pellets from A-Maze-N.

I ran a test today on the AMPS vs the Smoke Daddy Smoke Ring

I also ran a test of the pellets from A-MAZE-N Products vs the pellets from Smoke Daddy.

I used Oak Pellets from both companies. I ran the tests outside of the MES all at the same time so that all tests would be under the same exact conditions.

AMPS .... I put A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets in one outside row of the AMPS and Smoke Daddy Pellets in the other outside row of the AMPS.

1. The  A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets took approx 15 min to bring them to that "red rose" color in order to smoke.
     2. The Smoke Daddy Oak Pellets lit in half that time and produced a bit more smoke than the A-MAZE-N Products
        Oak Pellets
     4. The Smoke Daddy Oak Pellets produced a bit more smoke than the A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets and lasted
         one hr and 15 minutes before dying out.

Smoke Ring .....  I put A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets in one side of the Smoke Ring and Smoke Daddy Pellets on the other side across from the A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets.

1. The  A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets lit in approx 12 min or a wee bit faster than they did in the AMPS
     2. Again, the Smoke Daddy Oak Pellets lit in approx half that time and produced a bit more smoke than the
        The  A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets.
     3. The  A-MAZE-N Products Oak Pellets stayed lit, but as time passed their smoke became weaker and weaker
     4. The Smoke Daddy Pellets stayed lit and produced consistent smoke the whole 2 hrs I tested both products.

For those of you that have the AMPS and with problems keeping it lit but want to keep using the AMPS, I would suggest you put it on the bottom shelf. right side over the chip tray as Bear does and of which appears to work for him.

After doing that, if you are not happy with the results, I would suggest you try the Smoke Daddy Pellets as my tests did show they burn better in the AMPS and better yet in the Smoke Daddy Smoke Ring

Sounds like you did a good comparison test, and you prefer the Smoke Daddy ring and their pellets over the 5x8 Maze and their wood pellets. I think I saw that the Smoke Daddy pellets have a percent of charcoal so I am wondering how you found the smoke flavor in your smoked food?
Dennis

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky