New MES Bluetooth Digital smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGB1962  

I there are two differences in the Cabela's version vs the Masterbuilt labeled smoker sold by Bass Pro.  The are the same price, first difference is the window which you stated.  I call that a personal preference,  I don't care either way.  What swayed me get the Bass Pro offering was the second difference, the heating element.  The Cabelas model has an 800 watt element and the Masterbuilt sold at Bass Pro has a 1200 watt element.  Being a big 40" smoker I decided to go with the 1200 watt element.  In theory it should have an easier time keeping a constant temp. in colder weather. Since I liver at 6500 feet and smoke all year round it just made more sense.  

When I was at Bass Pro last week they were doing 10% plus another 30% in rebates if you signed up for their credit card.  I didn't need another card so I did there 6 Pay plan which you can get if you order off the internet.  You have to ask for it when you order.

I hope that helped.  

Actually the 800 watt is the 30 inch and the 1200 watt is the 40 inch.
At least one of the Cabela's-branded Masterbuilt 40" smoker has the 800 watt heating element. And this is one of the new Bluetooth models without the window and the remote. At $429.99 it's way overpriced. http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-BY-MB-BLACK-SMOKER-W-BT/1934608.uts

Bummer! Was waiting for Cabelas to finally get the new model in stock. I live 2 mins from Cabelas and 2 hours from the nearest Bass Pro. Just my luck. Makes little sense to produce a 40 with an 800 watt element for Cabelas and a 1200 watt for Pro Bass......and both are the same price!?!

Bummer! Was waiting for Cabelas to finally get the new model in stock. I live 2 mins from Cabelas and 2 hours from the nearest Bass Pro. Just my luck. Makes little sense to produce a 40 with an 800 watt element for Cabelas and a 1200 watt for Pro Bass......and both are the same price!?!
When I first saw this I thought 800W was a Typo.

It still could be a Typo, but I looked up all the old models, and they have done it with a number of models before.

Digital MES 40s have always been either 800 or 1200.

And Digital MES 30s have always been either 650 or 800.

Bear

Looks like the real deal but with 4 rack system instead of the six.  If mine ever shows up I will do an in-depth revue for you.

Masterbuilt only built what Cabela's asked them to build. I'm a cynical guy anyway but I think Cabela's was trying to make a larger profit off a MES 40. How does one do that? Build a cheaper machine, hope the customers don't notice the underpowered wattage, and sell it for the same price like it's the same model as that of your competitors. I can think of no other reason why Cabela's would sell a 40-inch MES that physically looks like the other models but only has an 800-watt heating element.

I agree completely.  I will have to rethink my loyalties to Cabelas and double check everything I buy.

Yep same here,   You might try this, Sure doesn't hurt to ask. Call Masterbuilt and Bass Pro Shop and tell them your story and ask if the would match their price or at least do free shipping  Might See

Gary

I was able to order from Bass Pro with free shipping to my closest Bass Pro store.  Unfortunately it is on back order  and won't be available for a couple of weeks.  When it gets here  and I have a chance to test it I  post my opinion.  I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!  Once you catch that smoking bug it's addicting.

Yep same here,   You might try this, Sure doesn't hurt to ask. Call Masterbuilt and Bass Pro Shop and tell them your story and ask if the would match their price or at least do free shipping  Might See

Gary
I keep telling yall, my last purchase was a new MES40, I bought it direct from Masterbuilt and saved over 200.00. AND if you have problems they do take care of it, no ifs, ands, or butts! Over 200.00 cheaper is a greater than 50% savings, costs only 35.00 from them to me. Heck was so inexpensive I got a cold smoker attachment for it and they almost paid me to take it, it was so inexpensive. Same as the MES40.

You guys go shop Cabelas and Bass Pro, and Sams and Wally World, and Amazon......... Me, I'll call Masterbuilt from now on.

My MES 30 has the 800 watt element and it works perfect.... Most of the time I'm operating it at 5-600 watts or lower....

I doubt if there's anything dubious on Cabelas part.

When I bought mine, everybody had black MES 30s & 40s, except Cabelas.

They had the All SS, and the pic in their catalog showed the black exterior.

We called them & they didn't even know what they had----You had to see it in person to know what it was.

When I picked it up, I believe they had over 50 more there----All SS.

There's not always a conspiracy.

And if you have a problem you take it back---No questions asked. That's what the "Bargain Cave" is there for.

Bear

Last edited:
It is my understanding from some earlier posts elsewhere on SMF that the seller can specify model and components which would explain the differences. I know I read that a few months back and it was not challenged so it has to be true.  Right?

I hope this doesn't constitute hijacking this thread. I picked mine (40" Bluetooth) up at Bass Pro this past Friday and today I was finally able to give it its maiden voyage. Coming from a propane unit to electric these are my observations. The weather was 22 degrees and no wind, one of my major reasons for moving to electric was to smoke in the winter. Smoker reached the set temperature in less than 30 minutes. I was smoking two meatloaf logs at 225 for 2 1/2 hours. Added chips at start and they lasted about 30 minutes, each add after lasted about 45 minutes (4 total). A really nice smoke the entire time. I used the Bluetooth app from Masterbuilt and was a little disappointed in it. The positive with the app is you could monitor the smoker from inside and control temp and time. The problem is connection, you need to be close for it to stay connected. I was about 10 feet away from the smoker through a wall and if I moved 15-20 feet it would lose its connection and I would need to get in line of site to reconnect. I also wish that it had a charting feature that I could view after the smoke was complete. As I watched the temp readings I saw a high of 233 degrees and a low of 207 (after opening the door to use my pen therm to check how close the units probe was). My pen therm and the unit were 2 degrees off both when I checked it during the smoke and a the end. I also had a cheaper probe hanging in the smoker to check chamber temp, it was off by about 8 degrees to the high side. Over all I'm impressed and will try some ribs this weekend.

Thanks for the post, TJ !!

I'll be interested in some other things that someone with multiple accurate therms can explore, such as the difference in temp between left & right, and various rack position heights.

However it sounds like so far you had a bit of success.

Thanks,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky