New member...thought I had it all figured out!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dudest

Original poster
Mar 25, 2018
Hey... living in East Aurora, N.Y for a year now. I remember smoking trout with my Dad in the finger lakes region when I was a kid (we kinda lived off the land) always went for the perch fried in butter instead, I must have been retarded! Anyway now I'm 46 and am getting into smoking, not only because I love the flavor but because I started the Atkins diet. My current job is the first one I ever had that isn't physical, a year later and I am now getting fat. Hate exercise because I wrecked my body doing manual labor as an aircraft mechanic, constant pain and no drugs `cept JD. Enuff rambling.. put in a 12 lb bone in butt at 4.30 this morning in my bradley digital. Read this forum a few times and most concur at least 1.5 is per pound minimum , so math figures out to 18 hours. The smoker was steady between 220 and 230 the whole time.I didn't bother to check the meat temp until 11 hours later, was planning on a stall but thermo read 199 deg at that point. I wondered if I hadn't reached stall yet (wasn't sure if the temp got that hot then it would reduce down to the figures most folks reference as a stall temp, as I am ignorant), Wondering why did it cook so fast when everyone would have said 18 hours minimum.I planned on covering it at 180 but I was too late. As the temp never fell I pulled it 12 hrs 201deg. When I put it on the cutting board to wrap it up it split in two where the bone was. Taste was excellent before I wrapped it but a little dry. It's in the cooler now and am ready to pull it apart after 1 hour.

Reactions: SonnyE
Hi Dudest! Welcome to SMF!
Listen, you are not ignorant, just inexperienced. But learning.
Others will be along to help with IT. I think most head for 195 to 210. But don't quote me.

I would get yourself a good pit thermometer so you can get a running idea how things are going.
ThermoPro makes nice ones that you can monitor from afar.
I'm a simple guy that doesn't need overly complicated things, so I got a TP-08. 1 meat probe, and one pit probe. Works great for my smoker oven.

20180330_193301.jpg

Looks pretty good to me.
Try putting some finishing sauce on it.
Here is one a lot of us use.
SoFlaQ’uers finishing sauce

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

Hope this helps!
Al

Reactions: Dudest and SonnyE
Don't feel ignorant about the temp vs. time calculation. Pork is pork and does what it wants. The 1.5hr/lb is just an estimate to get you in the ballpark. Some meats cook quicker and some longer depends on the internal fat content.
Yours looks good to me, I'd have a plate or so.

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: bdskelly
Looks pretty good to me.
Try putting some finishing sauce on it.
Here is one a lot of us use.
SoFlaQ’uers finishing sauce

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

Hope this helps!
Al
That sounds FANTASTIC thanks!

Don't feel ignorant about the temp vs. time calculation. Pork is pork and does what it wants. The 1.5hr/lb is just an estimate to get you in the ballpark. Some meats cook quicker and some longer depends on the internal fat content.
Yours looks good to me, I'd have a plate or so.

Point for sure.

Chris
Is beef as variable? Just bought a eye of round for next week.

Eye round is very lean, keep a close eye on temp, 130ish for rare. Makes a good roast-beef when sliced thin.

Chris

Reactions: Dudest
Hey pal. Welcome to the forum. And congratulations on the Keto Low Carb plan. I’ve been on it for years. Lost 65 pounds. And no longer classified as having pre-diabetes. Smoking meat especially high FAT meats are a staple in my diet now days. Triglycerides dropped like a rock as well as blood pressure.
Sugar and Carbs are the new tobacco. We’ve been given really bad dietary advice in the past.
Whoops. Sorry for the soapbox speech.
Welcome to the forum.B

[QUOTE="bdskelly, post: 1814820, member: 65166" We’ve been given really bad dietary advice in the past.
Welcome to the forum.B[/QUOTE]

Not to hijack the thread, but this is so much TRUTH. I am a bit of an amateur personal trainer. I have a day job, but I train half of my office in their fitness and nutrition goals.

That's awesome work losing that much weight BDS!

Dudest, good luck to you in your weight loss goals! I know you said you dislike exercise, but if you ever want any help, I am happy to send you some tips. No problem.

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a beautiful day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Looks Tasty

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky