New member. Never smoked a thing in my life

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spaztik

Original poster
Jul 3, 2016
New to smoking. My wife bought me a smoke hollow electric wood smoker for Christmas and I finally got around to putting. It together for the Independance day weekend. I'm looking forward to exploring this way of cooking. 53 year old living in Northern Illinois.

I was you once, but I started much younger in my 20's. The biggest things to remember: Keep your lid shut and don't fuss over it. Every time you open it you dump all your heat and smoke. The upper damper stays all the way open, all the time, unless it gets so windy, you cant keep the heat up. Always have back up propane and chips if you go that route. 190 is the magic temp for meat to fall apart. That's the key. The smoking temp should be between 220 and 230ish, but don't stress if it fluctuates. just keep it at or around 225. Sometimes, after 4 hours, it's just better to pull it, wrap in foil, and stick it in the oven to finish. No point in wasting chips and fuel past that point.

Thanks much for the welcome and the tips.  My first attempt was bratwurst.  Hickory chips for a couple of hours and Oh they were so good.  Smoke #2 was chicken thighs.  For this I targeted 225 degrees with a mix of cherry and apple chips.  Once again, oh oh oh so good.  I have a feeling the smoker is going to get a lot of use.

Last edited:
Buy a good meat probe. Most go with the Mavericks as they have good Bluetooth models. You will glad you did as you smoke more and more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky